The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
scum1

Center cap question

From the searches i know this question is asked repeatedly, so forgive me, but I couldnt find a specific answer. i want to order some baby moon style hubcaps..heres what i have.

Front - 5 lug stock 15" steelies, it has four outside "nubs" on it, measures roughly 7 3/4" across..

Rear - 6 lug 15" wheel vintique smoothies, has three inside nubs on it, measures also 7 3/4" across..

am i going to have to order two different sets? i assume the front clip "over" and the rear clip "into" is that correct?

my camera is not with me at the moment..so if its hard to picture i understand. but any feedback is great thanks!
scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: Center cap question

There will be two different mounting styles of caps with the wheels you have. They may look the same after the caps are installed. That nub measurement will be the one to go by. I found a set up caps on ebay at one time for my 15" with nubs on the outside. Some of my wheels had 3 and some had 4 nubs but the measurement was the same. I didnt end up keeping them and sent them back. They are made with very thin metal and you almost have to dent them up to get them on. I decided not to run any caps for now.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
scum1

thanks for the reply..i also just realized when measuring, technically my fronts, when measured "under the nub" are 10 1/8"..which is common..the rears however will still be around 7 3/4" since the nubs are on the inside...
Old 02-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
scum1

ok so after calling around and doing some research i was able to find the correct sizes for my different wheels, but obviously the front will be 10 1/8 an the rear will be 71/2, im not sure if i wanna have two different size caps on aesthetically. I have seen delmos tire clip mod, would that work on a baby moon application? or does anyone else have any clever ways to attach a baby moon onto the stock steelie?