The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2003, 07:28 PM   #1
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

Question Who makes a good car lift?

I sold my motorhome so I now have the perfect place to install a car / truck lift.
My inclosed motorhome port is:
11' wide
27' long
13' high
Im looking for a 4 post lift as I dont trust the concrete that the nimrod poured when the place was built. I would hate to install a 2 post and secure it with "red heads" and have my Corvette fall over because the concrete was garbage.
Eagle has sent alot of info lately and their prices vary between $2500 to $4500

I like the model SS-7000 and I like the FP-12
Both are the same price. $2995 with free delivery. I just cant see what the diff is as one will lift 7000lbs and the other will lift 12,000 lbs. One is blue and one is red. Hmmmmm they look about the same but there has got to be something that they are not telling. I really doubt that I will EVER lift anything over 7000 lbs but the 12,000 would be nice! I guess if all fails, I could call them but as always, I think of these things on Sundays or sometime of the night when evertone is asleep. Anyone out there have one of these and have any good or bad stories???? I gotta do this so if there is a better safer one out there, please inform!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Phillip Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:09 PM   #2
Huck

Have had a Backyard Buddy for 2 years. I would not buy another. Things to think about--110 or 220V? Length in case you ever want to lift an extended cab truck! Width~~~the standard models give you about 3-4" beyond the spred of your bumpers. Suppose you want to lift your trailer or stick you trailer on the lift with a bed on it---or store your trailer under the lift out of the way---wouldn't fit. Want to lift or store a boat on or under the 4 post lift?
Make the investment in a wider model and longer model. You will not be sorry. Wheels for the four posters are also nice so you can move the sob out of the way---or put it sideways to lift a bed off a truck!!!
I cought the front bumper against the pump resivor and cracked the plastic leaking fluid all over and rendering the lift useless. I also hooked the front bumper on the cable which bent the bumper! (TRIFOCALS SUCK!!!)
I call Backyard buddy for help in getting the replacement tank for the fluid and all I got was BS from them. I finally just fixed the cracks with GE Silicone. In my esperience, they are arrogent when it comes to customer support, overpriced compared to the rest of the market, and their quality is no better then others. There are many better choices out there. Just don't go for the smallest, cheepest solution or it will bite you later!!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
Kid

I bought a "auto-lifter" but is a 2 post lift, they do sell 4 post. I am happy with their product.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:40 PM   #4
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Ask the rep. if you can look at one locally. There is nothing like tring something in person.
Couble things to look for.
1. Make sure it has mechanical locks.
2. Make sure it is plenty wide enough to drive up comfortably
3. Does it come with a jack tray to lift your axles so you can remove the wheels.
4. Run a search engine on the company and the product to see if there are any complaints or praise and legal actions.
5. Make a fake phone call to the company asking for help with a lift you bought 2 years ago. See how freindly they are..............lol
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:45 PM   #5
Crank

Bend Pak
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 10:51 PM   #6
68lnb

I've had a bend pak 2-post for a couple years now. Its a 9000lb 220vlt. I really like the access a 2-post gives. I bought it thru Northern Supply 2199 and free shipping. Zero problems. It would'nt be that much trouble to saw out the floor and pour peers. I used epoxy on the readheads and havent had any trouble in that area.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:49 PM   #7
hobby67stepside

I put in a Bend Pak this last winter. Its a 2 post. I know you said you want a 4 post, but I like mine. Here's a pic (I think) Oh, BTW it was 2500 bucks delivered to my closest town. I'm rural. It's a 10,000 lb. extra wide which you need, IMHO.
    '78 K20 4X4 400 eng
    '70 Boss 302 (owner for 27 years)
    '57 Ford shortbox 383 stroker TH350 tranny
    '23 T-bucket (built in '78)
    '02 Explorer
    '67 C-10 short step
NW Iowa

Last edited by hobby67stepside; 09-07-2003 at 11:54 PM.
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:58 AM   #8
Bowtiefreak

I just bought the Eagle 7,000 XLT this summer. It is longer and taller than the standard 7,000 lbs. one. i like it and I have had no problems with it. The reason I picked the XLT was because I wanted to make sure I could put just about any normal vehicle on there. The standard one is mostly for cars and short SUV's

Eagle runs sales every couple months. I saved $500 and got the almun. deck ramps threw in for free. I did purchase the 110v unit instead of the 220v Yea- its slower than a 220v unit, but considering I am not working on cars for a living, its fine for me. Plus if I wanted to sell it, everyone has 110v outlets. I think it takes about 45 seconds to raise a vehicle all the way up. I think my only complaint with the 4 post lift is that its not as easy to do brake jobs or take tires off with. But get the adjustable jack trays and that helps out.

It is so nice not laying on your back.
Bowtiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:50 AM   #9
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

I have had a 4 post Auto Lifter for 5 years now. I'm very happy with it. Had a problem with the guide wheels and made a call to them. Had new guide wheels the next day. No hassle no questions except where to ship them next day fed ex. Great to work with.
As others have stated get the biggest you budget can afford. You will be glad you did.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:21 PM   #10
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

I just sent an email to Bend Pak and not only are they starting to charge to deliver, they insist that YOU unload the lift. 2500+ pounds of it. I said, if I could lift 2500 pounds out of a delivery truck that is all banded together, I wouldnt be needing a car lift as I could just lift it myself. They were rather rude. I think as much as I liked their product, I am headed towards Eagle.. Anyone else have any comments?
Old 09-08-2003, 04:28 PM   #11
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

I have a Eagle lift 9000lb. Great lift and easy to install
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:31 PM   #12
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

did they deliver and unload???
Old 09-08-2003, 05:02 PM   #13
67Fleetsidedream

They delivered it to a business address which had forklifts also.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:14 PM   #14
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

I have no forklift and I just sold my John Deere back hoe. Looks like Im s o l !
Old 09-08-2003, 05:29 PM   #15
67Fleetsidedream

This what I did, I had it dropped off at a business in town. They had a forkilift also so I asked them to unload it for me. They unloaded it off the truck trailer and put on my 16ft trailer. I pulled it home on my 16 foot trailer and covered it up with a tarp and waited for a weekend to install it.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:12 PM   #16
CoryM

Guys, If there is one thing to spend the extra $$ on its the lift. Ben pac are a TERRIBLE design. Upside down cylinder, and the locks are kinda sketchy. Not to mention the workmanship. Ben Pearson hoists are good, thick steel, decent design, but DISGUSTING workmanship. No QC at all. I wouldnt consider buying either Bend pak, or Ben pearson. My favorite hoists right now are Bishamon. Good quality, great design. There are also Challenger hoists. THey seem to be..... reasonable. The quality is acceptable, but some one the features make working with them a little more tedious. For 2 posts there are 2 style worth buying. The style that has one ram, and a chain, or the style that has 2 rams, and cables to level the arms. Both are good, longlasting designs. The other thing is if you want a 2 post, but are a bit unsure of the concrete you can use a baseplate hoist. They are pretty stable. IF you have good, solid concrete use a overheadbeam. As for 4 posts I would buy a chain driven hoist rather than cables. I am working in the business right now btw . If you have any Qs I can help with please ask. Again, take a look at Bishamon hoists, I think you will be very pleased (and no, I dont sell bishamon, we sell Challenger ).
CoryM

"Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high."
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, Canadian Army
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote