The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #26
StingRay

Re: C30 Noob

Also consider weight and balance on your load if you are going to tow. You need 10 to 15% on the hitch and need to be able to position that load on a trailer being able to achieve that. Is that truck a 133 or a 157 wheel base? You need room on that trailer to get your balance correct. At that your hitch load could be 1300 lbs or more. Thats getting heavy. Any more or less as a percentage of load on the hitch with a small pull vehicle you can really get in trouble. Too light becasue your balance is off and it's suicide. A Tahoe is not a lot of tow vehicle when your loads are in the 8-10k range. You also have to consider what your hitch is rated for in pull and tongue weights. Most typical half and 3/4 tons do not have 10k rated hitches, ball mounts and hitch balls. You will need a weight dist. hitch and a brake controller. Depending on your vehicles GVW, GCVW, front GAWR, rear GAWR and tire rating you may actually have too much load for that Tahoe.

Anybody that's ever towed heavy with a light tow vehicle knows what I'm talking about and that's a long haul if everything isn't optimal. I don't know that area but if I recall my grade school geography at all it's certainly not dead flat all the way. That makes a light tow vehicle even worse and all the other concerns even greater.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #27
ThumperWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Also consider weight and balance on your load if you are going to tow. You need 10 to 15% on the hitch and need to be able to position that load on a trailer being able to achieve that. Is that truck a 133 or a 157 wheel base? You need room on that trailer to get your balance correct. At that your hitch load could be 1300 lbs or more. Thats getting heavy. Any more or less as a percentage of load on the hitch with a small pull vehicle you can really get in trouble. Too light becasue your balance is off and it's suicide. A Tahoe is not a lot of tow vehicle when your loads are in the 8-10k range. You also have to consider what your hitch is rated for in pull and tongue weights. Most typical half and 3/4 tons do not have 10k rated hitches, ball mounts and hitch balls. You will need a weight dist. hitch and a brake controller. Depending on your vehicles GVW, GCVW, front GAWR, rear GAWR and tire rating you may actually have too much load for that Tahoe.

Anybody that's ever towed heavy with a light tow vehicle knows what I'm talking about and that's a long haul if everything isn't optimal. I don't know that area but if I recall my grade school geography at all it's certainly not dead flat all the way. That makes a light tow vehicle even worse and all the other concerns even greater.

You are right. I have a 20' car hauler with brakes on both axles. I have pulled my 02 TransAm and a 95 Z71 with it fairly easy. I was concerned of the dually's weight so that is why I asked. If I were to tow it I would take the I30 to Little Rock then I40 to Knoxville, TN to I81 to Shippensburg, PA route as it is the flatest with the least amount of mountains. Then again if I got my aunt and uncle to use their Diesel and trailer and pay them for the trip that might would be worth a trip for them.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #28
ThumperWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
I think you have made a wise decision! It depends on the bed material and size. 4500 to 6000?? What do the rest of you think?
It has a wood floored bed.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #29
a_barth

I would definately recommend a bigger tow vehicle and probably a weight distributing hitch I know that my reciever is rated at 5000# pulling on the ball but 10,000# weight distributing.
a_barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #30
71swb4x4

My 67 C30 weighs right at 5760 unloaded with me in it. It has a wood floored bed, 3' sides made from wood, and a hoist. Engine is a 292.

We trailered it back when I bought it about 350 miles and it was stupid. Our trailer had non-functioning trailer brakes, and we had a 1/2 ton (with 3/4 ton springs) long box pulling it. Even with trailer brakes I would still ship it if you can't drive it.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #31
ThumperWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
My 67 C30 weighs right at 5760 unloaded with me in it. It has a wood floored bed, 3' sides made from wood, and a hoist. Engine is a 292.

We trailered it back when I bought it about 350 miles and it was stupid. Our trailer had non-functioning trailer brakes, and we had a 1/2 ton (with 3/4 ton springs) long box pulling it. Even with trailer brakes I would still ship it if you can't drive it.

I have pulled my 95 Chevy Z71 on the trailer from PA to MI effortlessly. Granted I got like 10 mpg but it still pulled it just fine.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #32
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Then again if I got my aunt and uncle to use their Diesel and trailer and pay them for the trip that might would be worth a trip for them.

Now your using your head! There are a lot of very smart people on here.

I think you've almost got it figured out....keep thinking.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #33
Achevytruck
Account Suspended

i think most one ton trucks wheel base were 133 inch with the GVW 10,000 lbs and great to see the the one ton trucks being worked on and still being drive around
Achevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote