The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #26
mud.man.rj

Re: BDS 6" lift

I do have a cv shaft in front and didn't lenghten it either, it is a bit short though may rip it tp pieces when I actually go four wheeling with the Big block but I will wait till then. Need other parts first or want anyway, first different tires, have a thread and then doors and painter is waiting too so all things soon as we get back from a holiday to Mexico in a week.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #27
76stepsidechevy

Cool man, This whole lift turned into a bigger build then I planned on. I had an ancient sagged 4" spring/block lift and decided to go bigger after the accident. I didn't realise how sagged it was until I put the new rear springs on last week, major rake. Looks like I'll be buying some tires now too... I have 33s and they look like donuts now. I still have to find some bed parts and probably a cab to fix the body damage. Im tempted to just throw a door on but ill be miles ahead with a newer cab.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #28
mud.man.rj

I know what you mean my buddy had this truck last year and we big blocked it and lifted it and the 33's just looked lame so we went with 35/12.50's SSR radials which we had just put on his Dad's 77F250 and he really liked the tires as I do but just want a bit more width so buying something new, still debating but thinking of the Swamper Thornbirds for street and a bit of offroad, usually I run Boggers on everything, but they suck bad in the winter. A cab is a bit of work but worth it in the long run for sure.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #29
mud.man.rj

Here is a pic of it now, the tires just seem to narrow to me.
What do you think, a 35/14.50 should look better.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #30
76stepsidechevy

They claim this lift clears a 36x13.50 but I'd like to keep some nut off the line with 3.73s so I think im gonna look for a wide 35. Id love a meaty mud terrain but the truck is my daily driver and its just embarassing to have a big truck that cant go anywhere in snow so I'l probably end up with another a/t or best of both worlds tire. I like the looks of the thornbird too, just seems like they always get dogged on though so idk.

I could probably fix my cab but somebody already did rockers, cab corners, and floor pans and they didn't do all that great of a job. The rear cab support is starting to go too so I think I'd rather start fresh. I could get the underside and firewall of a new cab
spotless off the truck and then put it on when im ready. It's a lot easier to get stuff done when it doesn't have to be back together for monday morning.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:43 AM   #31
76stepsidechevy

Nice truck ! I hear ya, I had 35x12.50 bfgs on my old jeep and they just looked so skinny to me. Wider wheels help too tho, I have 15x10 hurricanes on my truck now and my 33x12.50 bfgs sit a lot better. I had them on 15x8s and the tread wasn't even flat, they always looked like the had to much air in them or something.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #32
mud.man.rj

Ya that's why I thought of the Thornbird should be like an AT but still have a good side biter so buying them anyway, if not great in 2wd I have 4wd so what, prob better to change cab like you said at least with a project you aren't drivin it every day and when the cab is done it is done right. Just read your new message not sure if my rims are 8" or 10" hope they are 10", better measure them tomorrow, maybe the guy buying the 35 SSR's will want the rims too if they are 8" can at least have them with the tires on. Think I am going out now, can't take the suspense of waiting till tomorrow, ahh thinking to much again, haha.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #33
76stepsidechevy

lol i'd probably do the same thing.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #34
76stepsidechevy

Finally got this thing back on the lift at work on saturday. Ended up pulling both sets of shims front and rear out. Both sets ended up being 4 degree. My steering is back to how it was but i'll def need to get a non cv shaft for the front now. Im still getting vibes from the rear driveshaft, there at different speeds now and I think they actually got worse. I need to pull the rear shaft to check the U joints and get an accurate angle measurement on the pinion and t case output yokes.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #35
mud.man.rj

It is a rel headscratcher isn't it. I usually run the shims in back but not front, still think something is weird with that rear shaft. You will get it just takes time and patience, somtimes lots.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #36
76stepsidechevy

Yea it might be bent. It seemed to have a bit of runout but its weighted so Im not sure if the weights are there to compensate for the runout or it really is bent. I wish I knew a good local place I could have it checked for balance at. Maybe the U joints are wiped from be worn at 4 different angles. I had to drive home 30 miles with an axle tube with nothing more than the axle holding it the rear end. Im gonna pull the shaft to get a more accurate measurement on the pinion and t case yoke angles and check the joints.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #37
mud.man.rj

The thing is it shouldn't really have any runout to speak of and no shaft is perfectly the same weight on each side to side around a tube because of tube thickness so it is weighted just like a rim that isn't bent at all still needs weight but if it is bent the rim usually can't be weighted enough. Ya I see your point on checking runout and a shop to do it, I would be in the same position, have any place friend or wrecker that can lend you a shaft to try instead of yours.