The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
76Blue_Beast

Question Battery cut off switch?

Hello again!

So as Ive asked before many questions from you all regarding my 76 c25 GMC 2wd; My brother and I have come to the conclusion that we wanted to install some sort of cut off switch. I recently had a harness short somewhere in the engine harness area and am paranoid it is going to burn it to the ground this time. We have replaced the engine harness and the light harness and everything is fresh under the hood as far as electrical. We figured that installing a battery cut of switch would be a double safety for the truck and I would be able to sleep at night lol. So question is; has anyone done this and do you all have pics and advice of how to go about this?

Thanks,
Ken
76Blue_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Locked1

Re: Battery cut off switch?

I had the same fear, immediately coming out of the battery, before going into the starter I installed a http://http://www.amazon.com/Bussman.../dp/B0024JOKM4 Hi amp circuit breaker, if any thing big goes to ground it trips. I also use it as a disconnect. Works great. I mounted it right under the battery tray.
Locked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
PaRedneckRiders

Re: Battery cut off switch?

I ran a power kill switch into my cab. I would always shut it off when the truck wasnt running. I really liked it the only thing i didnt like was having to reset the radio every time i started it again.
Heres some pics of mine.

This hole was already there from the PO if it wasnt there i would have ran all the wires down the frame rail and up in for a cleaner install but didnt really care at the time.

There was already two existing holes in the dash and they happened to be the right distance apart to mount the switch, i had two rubber grommets off of a 400ex gas tank that i stuck in the holes and then put some black tape behind the switch itself and bolted it back on.
When my truck goes back together it will still have the switch but it will be run differently and have a different type of switch.
PaRedneckRiders is offline   Reply With Quote