The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
danheit

Thinking about ditching my project 55 already and going a different route/year....

I know I have been a little weak with the armchair web roddin, but I have been poking around here a while. Sadly, I am getting kind of put off with my 55 project, and the lack of garage space it is providing me. My truck has great potential, but needs more body work than I think I can do, and way more than I can afford to pay someone else to do. I am also a fan of the 67-72 body style, and have been contemplating trying to find someone to trade me my 55 and the parts truck with the better sheetmetal for a driving fixer 67-72. Aside from the cool factor that my 55 has, is there any reason NOT to do this? I am completely on the fence, and am trying to see reasons to go one way or the other. Why should I stay with my 55? Don't get me wrong, I love the truck, and it has a ton of potential, but I just don't see there ever being a light at the end of this tunnel. I have asked a similar question on the 67-72 forum.

Sway me folks!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Thinking about ditching my project 55 already and going a different route/year...

It takes dedication, perseverance, determination and love for this hobby to bring a truck back to life especially when you don't have lots of money. Those things will make you learn the skills you need to finish your truck. The question is do you have those things? If not maybe you should get a truck that is in better condition.

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-16-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Kim57

Re: Thinking about ditching my project 55 already and going a different route/year...

What Kabwe said.
Kim
Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
55metalmonkey

just wondering how bad is the truck really?
------my 2 cents-----
In the long run if your hearts not into it then it's just better to sell it to someone else and move onto what you want to do.
years from now you might think back and think "i should have kept it" but it's better than it sitting in your shop, taking up space and all that time eating at you that it's not getting anywhere.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
rollinrooster

" I love the truck, and it has a ton of potential" That alone is reason enuff for me to keep it if i was you. Also the 67-72 trucks take up room in the garage as well. Just keep at it you will get there!
rollinrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
OKGMC4

Usually when they are rough it requires a complete teardown and rebuild anyhow. There are plenty of the 67-72 trucks that need the same amount of love and elbow grease your 55 would need. If you aren't patient, can't do the work, or just don't want to do it, buy one already done or mostly done. I was amazed both times I went to the Grand Run at Pigeon Forge just how cheap a finished project can be had for. I saw at least 3 DAMN nice trucks I could have gotten for under 10k. Of course none of them were a 56 GMC with fuel injection and corvette suspension, and that's the conundrum. I'm doing it my way on my terms so it will be my truck on nobody elses. I've had to learn to weld, then learn to paint, and next I'll learn to sew upholstery. Just decide what you want and do it. I've seen too many projects untouched and rotting from indecision. Good luck either way.

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
_Ogre

your in the wrong forum for us to talk you out of a task force truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC4 View Post
...Of course none of them were a 56 GMC with fuel injection and corvette suspension, and that's the conundrum. I'm doing it my way on my terms so it will be my truck on nobody elses...
and like okgmc says, we build em how we like em...

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
your in the wrong forum for us to talk you out of a task force truck.
No kidding!

In all seriousness, I started my truck 10 years ago, through 2 moves, and tons of life changes I always kept the truck, waiting for a chance to get full force on it. This last summer I put almost ALL of my free time on it and for the first time drove it. The 67-72 trucks are GREAT!, dont get me wrong, but there is no comparison to the uniqueness of the pre-60's vehicles, in all forms. You just don't see them every day and the feeling driving them is undescribable. I have a '65 mustang, GREAT CAR! but everyone has one, similar to the 67-72 trucks... there is just something cooler about the unique 50's vehicles.

Its obviously your project, and you will have to decide what you want out of your project, but if you want my advice... Keep the '55.

I can go on-and-on... but really, this year I drove it for the first time, and every time I sit in it I am grinning from ear to ear.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
JumboAMONGus

my dad builds cars i do trucks ,, and some of them take 5 years or more ,ive been doing my 56 for 3 years now still inprimer needs interior and my 71 for 4 years now and its needs body work heads interior ,, takes along time unless you got a lot of money saved up and deffinatly no buyers remorse i bought tons of stuff that is more junky then the original or doubles and i also learned on having someone else do body work ,, its good to have a clunker and learn on then you can say you did it all your self
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
meter swinger

Do it.
If 2nd gen C-10's turn your crank then go get one and don't look back. Honestly i love them all, and i love my 59. However i would move on and do something different when i get bored with it and i probably will. I dont plan on taking it to the grave with me.
No one can answer this question but you. none of these trucks are easy to build to the standards we desire not even the c-10s.
But at the end of the day you might as well be driving/building what you want. Why put in all the time and money for something thats second best in your view?
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote