The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
B_Hix

Firewall Mounted Battery Tray?

Hi there - I sat my seats back in my cab today and decided the battery needs to go...out of the cab that is.

The passenger side of my firewall is smooth as I have no heater, so I am thinking I'll hang a battery tray on that side - has anyone else done this? If you have a recommendation for a good aftermarket tray for this application I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks

*salute*
B_Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
55metalmonkey

Re: Firewall Mounted Battery Tray?

you could always relocate it to the frame under the passenger side. I made mine (I'm cheap) but they are available for about $100 to $150
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a...attery-Box.htm

Keeps the fire wall clean and out of the cab
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
RootBeer 6117

I built a simple box and bolted it to the firewall like you are talking about I weighed all the option I liked it there the best for easy access. I did have to lower it to clear the hinge I am running my wires in to the cab next to it so I couldn't go toward the middle.
Attached Images

RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
_Ogre

if you relocated the gas tank (like i did) is there room behind the seat?
in my 58 that's where i put it...

it's ironic, the 55-59 guy want it off the firewall, the 47-55 guys want it on the firewall.
never did understand the frame mounts, having to jack up your truck up to get the battery out or work on it.
i do need to get a jump post under my hood though

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
mr48chev

When I subframed my 48 in 1980 I put the battery on the firewall because it was tiresome getting to it under the floor. It was convenient but ugly as homemade mucky and ruined the previously clean look under the hood. plus an overcharged battery dripped acid on my right valve cover ruining it. That was my fault because I didn't catch a bad regulator that was letting the alternator charge over 15 volt all the time.

Most later Corvettes have the battery in a well behind the seat. Most Mercedes, Audis, and VW's have the battery under the rear seat on the passenger side. They use a battery that is built with a fitting for a vent hose that exits through a hole in the floor. Those batteries are also fairly low profile and one could be fitted in a box behind the seat where the gas tank went before.

I'm seriously considering building what will appear to be a custom wood tool box across the front of the bed with wood that matches the bed and that has stainless hardware on it to hold the battery on one side and tools and a jack on the other. I don't ever intend to haul anything except luggage, a cooler and lawn chairs along with a beach umbrella so that should work fine.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
Maximus

haha this is so funny, you people with your AD trucks take your battery from under the truck and put it on your firewall, and us TF truck owners take our batteries off our firewall and put it under the truck... or in the bed. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
it's ironic, the 55-59 guy want it off the firewall, the 47-55 guys want it on the firewall.
never did understand the frame mounts, having to jack up your truck up to get the battery out or work on it.
i do need to get a jump post under my hood though
Well, my truck is not slammed so much that I need to jack the truck up, but it is not the easiest to work on. but... how often do you touch your battery? I bought a brand new gold-top duralast and hope not to have to touch it for months/years... But I too will be adding a jump-post under the hood...
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
JumboAMONGus

under the bed on the frame make a trap door !!
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
Mad Rods
Chevy Only Tx

Here is the one I bought from poly performance

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #9
OrrieG

Mine is staying on the firewall where it started. In the cab, nope don't want the fumes. Under the frame, nope that's the part that will get buried in mud or snow when it fails. In the bed, nope it will be covered with a bunch of camping stuff, lumber or ?? when it has problems. IF it was going to be a street/highway only truck then I would put it under the frame with the drop down setup.

I remember a thread where the notched the inner fender by the passenger radiator support for the battery to keep it under the hood but off the firewall.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
B_Hix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Rods View Post
Here is the one I bought from poly performance

Posted via Mobile Device
^^ thats nice, clean and small - I like that! I'll look into on of those today.

MR48Chev: I'm seriously considering building what will appear to be a custom wood tool box across the front of the bed with wood that matches the bed and that has stainless hardware on it to hold the battery on one side and tools and a jack on the other. I don't ever intend to haul anything except luggage, a cooler and lawn chairs along with a beach umbrella so that should work fine

I have been considering something very similar. Been thinking about one of those on each side of the bed, bolted down, and stained to match the bed wood. One for battery/tools, maybe one fabricated that is actually a cooler...

_Ogre: if you relocated the gas tank (like i did) is there room behind the seat? in my 58 that's where i put it...

...right now that is where it is at, but having it back there forces me to push my seats up about 1 1/2" from where they would be if the battery were elsewhere. Also got a buddy who is constantly reminding me that he had a in-cab battery explode on him long ago...

Some pretty good input here.

Here is the 'canvas' - as you can see right now the pass side of the firewall is wide open.. Like others have mentioned though, it will clutter the compartment a bit, and it's a lotta weight hanging up there - I'll have to reinforce the firewall on the inside of the cab to feel good about it...

** still undecided** lol

BTW, for all you still deciding on a new frame or clipping, this has a 75 Firebird front clip on it - throw that into the pot of sources/possibilities, lol. This has 2" drop spindles from PST...

Old 02-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Larry Lindley

Just my 2 cent on this right fender well cut,set battery box in,take cut part use hid hinge and flush lock.you now have under hood battery and clean fire wall.
Larry Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
... how often do you touch your battery? ... But I too will be adding a jump-post under the hood ...
i have an alarm system that i use to get into my shaved doors.
luckily i have alternate ways to get into my truck.
10 days max and the battery is dead as a door nail...
i charge the battery on the alternator post, i really need to get a jump post under my hood

mine is right here, under the finger hole
lots of room in a 55-59, seats still go back to the window

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
55metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
True it may be inconvenient for some but I very very rarely need to access my battery......also I have a hoist
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
RootBeer 6117

I would have gladly put mine back under the floor but the s10 frame runs right were it needs to set, building mine in a shop class I needs a lot of access I am not sure how many times they ran the battery down leaving the key on. I am not going for the super clean look I am just going for the average Joe on a budget, wanna be hotrodder, living my second child hood look.
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
Barney Rubble

lots of good ideas in this thread to cover most options.
Barney Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #16
B_Hix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer 6117 View Post
I am just going for the average Joe on a budget, wanna be hotrodder, living my second child hood look.
Amen... I'm not building a hundred point show truck either - little short on cash and way short on know-how for that

Since I started with a cab on a frame I'm just trying to get it where I will be happy and not wanting to go back in and change it later