The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
floridasteve

cross sills placement

I am wondering if someone can help me with where the cross sills line up. The front is easy enough. But there are three locations to place the next two. There are holes next to the rear sill and two more holes in the top of the frame where they line up. What is the correct holes? I posted a photo of the bed side to help. There is a space between the two cross members and one at the rear sill.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
floridasteve

Re: cross sills placement

Sorry the image is sideways. It viewed correctly on the computer. You can see where a zip tie is through the one hole that may be a mounting hole. Thanks again for any assistance.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
robin58

I'm assuming your question relates to your 49? As it changes after 51.

Quoting Mar-K tech at Stovebolt http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...Number=546321:

Quote:
As was mentioned earlier, be sure the bed strips are installed correctly. On that truck, they look about the same either way, but when installed correctly, the bolt holes will line up with all the angle strips bolt holes except for one that is about in the middle of the bed.

If your cross sill holes don't line up with the bed strips holes, it is likely that your cross sills are from a 51-52 bed that has fewer boards and a different hole pattern. Correct cross sills are available for your truck with holes already drilled, or you can drill them yourself. The outer most holes through the angle strip and first bed strip should be the same for both years cross sills, but all the other holes in the center area will have to be drilled, including those in the rear sill if it is also from a 51-52 bed. If the rear sill holes do line up with your bed strips, you can use it for a pattern to know exactly where to drill your cross sill holes.

These cross sill positions can be kind of confusing. I will try to help with how they are placed.

The front cross sill is different than the other two in that it has bolt holes on its front face to attach to the front bed panel, so it can only go one place, at the front. A bed to frame bolt goes through that cross sill so it should line up with the corresponding front bolt hole in your frame. That will be about 75 or 76 inches forward from the rear end of your frame.

The second cross sill should line up with the third bed strip and angle strip bolt holes counting from the front bolt hole. It does not have a bed to frame bolt, but comes close to the frame where it starts to kick up over the rear axle.

The third cross sill should line up with the fifth bed strip and angle strip hole counting from the front. It has a bed to frame bolt so that should also line up with the bed to frame hole in the frame of your truck that is immediately behind the frame kick up over the axle.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Mar-Ktech
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
floridasteve

I should mention the fact that I bought the bed sides and wood from Mar-K. I have the hidden fasteners and had the angled strips welded on at the factory. I will take a look but off te top of my head this makes sense as I dont have anything to use as a block on one of the sills so this makes sense that it is not frame mounted. Thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
robin58

If you bought the bedsides etc from Mar-K, give them a call. I know they used to have some drawings and pictures they could email/fax you that might depict it better that are not items you can see on their website.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote