The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
jayboe

New project

Hello, my name is Jason, I am from Cleveland, OK and I have a ton of questions.. I originally put this post in the wrong section, and for that I apologize..First I will start by saying that I know little to nothing about these old trucks... I have restored old Broncos in the past, but this will be my first old truck.. A 58 or 59 Apache 38 was given to me by my uncle. I say 58 or 59 becase of the quad headlights, and 38 because of the fender emblem. Thats really all I know at this point. It will run, is pretty much all original, but has been sitting for several years.. It has a 6 cyl, and looks like it was originally a flat bed of some kind. It has single rear wheels, but looks like it could have had dual rear wheels at some point.. The cab is in great shape, and very minimal rust issues.. My questions are this.

1) It has a wrap around rear glass, was that specific to a certain year?
2) I would like to find a good source of information about what it had originally, and what modern improvements to the brakes can be adapted easily..
3) What size are the wheels/tires, and would the bolt pattern be the size of some of the later model heavy duty trucks.. I plan to get some pics this weekend to share, and hopefully get more info about what i have..I havent seen it in a few months.
4) I want to learn all I can about this and make just a nice reliable farm truck and try to save it. Thanks in advance for all of your help..Feel free to call or text if you can help me.. Thank you.. 918-638-9877

Last edited by jayboe; 02-17-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: add info
jayboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
oldcouple

Re: New project

This is a 3800, http://youtu.be/TttsQZqaWwQ

http://youtu.be/1lPE--xnwxc

big windows can be found on any year
Old 02-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Maximus

1) It has a wrap around rear glass, was that specific to a certain year?
Any 55(2nd)-59 truck could be ordered with a 'Big Rear Window' but it was a upgraded cab option over the small window cabs, and i think unusual for large trucks, as they were usually strictly bought to be workhorses

as far as the other questions, I just dont know about the 1.5 ton+++ trucks, sorry, someone else will chime in...
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
oldcouple

may be some info here. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...esto/index.htm lots and lots of stuff.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Kim57

Welcome.
Sorry I can't answer your questions but post pics and the guys here will be able to give you a ton of help.
Kim
Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
jayboe

I will get some pics up tomorrow.. I would like to try to get it back in action and let my uncle get the chance to ride in it again.. Thanks to everyone for the input...
Old 02-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
jayboe

Heres a few pics that I snapped today.. I know that the wheels were replaced, and the bed has had the rotted wood removed..A little rust in the passenger door and lower fender, but that was about all i could find.. Are the lights on the fenders original? The first five of the serial are 3g59L... Any info would be appreciated.. Thank you
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
ruby57

Hi, Jason - To your question... "The first five of the serial are 3g59L".

3G ---3800 Series

59 --- Model Year - 1959

L --- Los Angeles, CA assembly plant

If you can read the last six digits that will be the actual production number...

Best,

-Doug
ruby57 is offline   Reply With Quote