The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
Bamer36

Tail lights

alright need a little help my tail lights work but don't. I know that they turn on but there's a wire that comes from the bottom of the cab into the cab that the prior owner had plugged into the fuse box which gives it power but there on all the time the turn signals work on them but when hitting the brakes they don't get brighter or dim. I know it doesn't go right into the fuse box but have no idea where it goes can't figure out the wiring diagram any help will be grand. I have a 63 SWB c10
Bamer36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Tail lights

I’d suggest it’s time to break out the continuity tester and start analyzing what you have. Post #9 on the following thread has an excellent wiring diagram for the 1963:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=499476

And while repairing or updating the wiring, it’s always a good idea to add separate ground wires to all the light buckets. Terminate them either to the frame, or preferably to a common wire running back to the battery. This eliminates a lot of future gremlins in the wiring system. Most of the factory ground circuits are either undersized, or depend on returning to the battery through sheet metal for the ground side of the circuit. 50 years of corrosion, paint, and dirt creates all sorts of random electrical problems. Replacing the 16 and tiny 18 gauge grounds with 14 gauge wire will keep the system healthy from now on.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
Bamer36

Re: Tail lights

wow thanks for the link that should work
Bamer36 is offline   Reply With Quote