The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
Cue-Ball

Re: Ignition spark problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner-europe View Post
Hi,

as I have already written at the beginning, Iīve exchanged the distributor with another. this one was a high performance with 65000 volt.
Sorry, I didn't see anywhere you said that you replaced the distributor. I just saw that you replaced the coil, ignition module, cap, and rotor.

If you're getting 12V to the coil, the coil is properly grounded, and you've already tried two different distributors (ruling out the ignition module and magnetic pickup), then I have no idea what else it could be. That's pretty much the entire ignition system. As long as the coil has voltage and the trigger is being sent (this is done by the magnetic pickup and ignition module), then the engine should run.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj View Post
That part is your seatbelt alarm.
yup you can prob strip/pull it back like i did in the jimmy
i had no buzzer,
i one pink went to the cluster for the seat belt light .....
if you get back there look for the black (-)ground they all go to one in there
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #28
roadrunner-europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue-Ball View Post
Sorry, I didn't see anywhere you said that you replaced the distributor. I just saw that you replaced the coil, ignition module, cap, and rotor.

If you're getting 12V to the coil, the coil is properly grounded, and you've already tried two different distributors (ruling out the ignition module and magnetic pickup), then I have no idea what else it could be. That's pretty much the entire ignition system. As long as the coil has voltage and the trigger is being sent (this is done by the magnetic pickup and ignition module), then the engine should run.
Hi Cue-Ball,

doesnīt matter. donīt care about it. thanks for your help...

...but, iīve seen you are from Kirkland, WA. maybe you know my truck.
get it in 2007, first owner in Europe. truck came from Cheney, WA. near Spokane. about 120mls from your home. Have title at home. maybe you know the last owner, so you could ask him, what he did with this truck.

thanks

chris
roadrunner-europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #29
OleBlue79

Just a thought, but maybe the hot wire to the distributor has a break in it and it wiggles from time to time. It only gives you problems part of the time. You could run a temporary wire from the battery to see. Just hook it up and run it some and unhook whenever you shut the engine off.
79 C-20 Scottsdale 350/400 3:73 gears 9 leafs and a headache rack (I speak English, thank you)
OleBlue79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #30
roadrunner-europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBlue79 View Post
Just a thought, but maybe the hot wire to the distributor has a break in it and it wiggles from time to time. It only gives you problems part of the time. You could run a temporary wire from the battery to see. Just hook it up and run it some and unhook whenever you shut the engine off.
hi OleBlue79,

Iīve already tried this. a cable from battery+ to distributor and a strand from battery- to distributor foot to exclude ground troubles. nothing helps.

will look for a new distributor and then trying a new run.

Thank you

Greetings

chris
Old 01-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #31
OleBlue79

I had a 69 C-20 once that was acting up similar to that. It turns out I had a cat walking around under the hood and stepping on my hot wire to my distributor. Also, your hot wire may have a break in it someplace causing your problem. Try running a temporary hot wire from the battery to the dizzy and see if it will start the next time it goes dead.
79 C-20 Scottsdale 350/400 3:73 gears 9 leafs and a headache rack (I speak English, thank you)
Old 01-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #32
OleBlue79

Sorry about the repeat. I did not see the second page. Duh...
Old 01-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
roadrunner-europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBlue79 View Post
I had a 69 C-20 once that was acting up similar to that. It turns out I had a cat walking around under the hood and stepping on my hot wire to my distributor. Also, your hot wire may have a break in it someplace causing your problem. Try running a temporary hot wire from the battery to the dizzy and see if it will start the next time it goes dead.
Hi OleBlue79

thank you for this advice. try this next time.
Could cry cause of this truck. want to drive it and even when, it goes dead.
Little Christine.
Maybe one day I can say "on the road again".

next weekend Iīve no time - son is at badminton tournament.

greetings

chris
Old 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #34
bowtiemanchevyman

just because you replace it with new parts dont mean they are not good. i bought a new MSD dist. and it went bad after 30 min of run time i went back to stock so i would test ever peice of your ignition. new dont mean good so test and test. make sure its it work with in spec. that why most auto parts stores dont take back Electronic parts. they can go bad real fast.
bowtiemanchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #35
OleBlue79

Thumbs up Re: Ignition spark problems

Excellant point.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #36
mMad Dawg

This may sound strange ,but did you try changing the ignition switch? I mean the one on the top of the steering column, under the dash.You may have to drop the column down to get at it. My son had a similar problem with his truck and that cured the problem. His would cut out intermittently also. Hope this helps. Gord
mMad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #37
beamn7

Check to make sure the connection on terminal "C" of the HEI module (small module that is mounted to distributor under the rotor) has a good connection to the negative side of the coil. Also check the small bolt closest to terminal "C" that mounts the HEI module to the distributor, this bolt is the ground for the module....(check for good contact / no corrosion / not loose, etc) Engine ground good an tight? (would assume so since it turns over....)
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #38
roadrunner-europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mMad Dawg View Post
This may sound strange ,but did you try changing the ignition switch? I mean the one on the top of the steering column, under the dash.You may have to drop the column down to get at it. My son had a similar problem with his truck and that cured the problem. His would cut out intermittently also. Hope this helps. Gord
Hi,

yes I did it. but have take a used one. Friend has said that it runs till he dismounted it. But he knows not how long it has been expanded.

chris
Old 01-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #39
roadrunner-europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamn7 View Post
Check to make sure the connection on terminal "C" of the HEI module (small module that is mounted to distributor under the rotor) has a good connection to the negative side of the coil. Also check the small bolt closest to terminal "C" that mounts the HEI module to the distributor, this bolt is the ground for the module....(check for good contact / no corrosion / not loose, etc) Engine ground good an tight? (would assume so since it turns over....)
Hi,

do you mean the ignition module? I already changed it, but the bolts...? think that thereīs a little thing, I could check
Thank you.

Chris
Old 01-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #40
beamn7

Yes, Ignition module / HEI module = same thing. Also check the ground(s) on the coil itself. there should be one that connects to one of the screws that mounts the coil under the coil cap....
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #41
roadrunner-europe

Hello to all,

every try without result.

now i ordered a new distributor. itīll come directly from the united states. a good friend has an account at summit.
will report later.

greets chris