The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
weider1717

87 heater core change, need help what am I forgetting?

I recently changed mine in my 87 it actually went out so told my dad lets change yours before it goes out because mine was a mess to get all that coolant cleaned up and dried out! his is an 87 also. never been changed.

I have all the hard part done with but I can't get the box actually removed!

I have taken the 3 nuts off the 3 long bolts which go through the firewall (yes that includes the bottom ones which are HARD to get to!) I have removed the adjustment cable on top of the heater box and set screw, I have removed additional duct work that would get in the way including the 8mm bolt on the top that is attached to the heater box and the I think 10mm bolt from the inside at the passenger side end.. and the 2 vacuum hoses on the back and end of the heater box and ofcourse the heater hoses. There is one more vacuum hose on the very back but I'll take that off when it pulls out enough to make it easier to get to.

the box feels like its gonna nearly fall out when I'm trying to pull it out. The bolts are still poking through the firewall (3) but the bottom pulls way out while the top doesn't want to pull back that much...not sure what I'm missing though! it went slick on mine the other week.

the bottom of the heater box will move away from the firewall like 2 inches but the top doesn't want to that much.

no clue?
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Re: 87 heater core change, need help what am I forgetting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weider1717 View Post
I recently changed mine in my 87 it actually went out so told my dad lets change yours before it goes out because mine was a mess to get all that coolant cleaned up and dried out! his is an 87 also. never been changed.

I have all the hard part done with but I can't get the box actually removed!

I have taken the 3 nuts off the 3 long bolts which go through the firewall (yes that includes the bottom ones which are HARD to get to!) I have removed the adjustment cable on top of the heater box and set screw, I have removed additional duct work that would get in the way including the 8mm bolt on the top that is attached to the heater box and the I think 10mm bolt from the inside at the passenger side end.. and the 2 vacuum hoses on the back and end of the heater box and ofcourse the heater hoses. There is one more vacuum hose on the very back but I'll take that off when it pulls out enough to make it easier to get to.

the box feels like its gonna nearly fall out when I'm trying to pull it out. The bolts are still poking through the firewall (3) but the bottom pulls way out while the top doesn't want to pull back that much...not sure what I'm missing though! it went slick on mine the other week.

the bottom of the heater box will move away from the firewall like 2 inches but the top doesn't want to that much.

no clue?
i think one is a nut onto a stud with a actuall bolt head lower? held trim?
and you can't push the bolt threw from under hood,thread isn't stopped at the hole or goop sticking it
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
xrcr

See if it's the core tubes hanging on the firewall. I just did an 84 w/AC and it sounds like you got them all. If this is an AC truck you probably know to be careful sgetting the door pin out.(don't ask)
Let us know
Jim
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
88Jimmy4x4

check to make sure the actuators and vacuum lines are disconnected
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
weider1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
i think one is a nut onto a stud with a actuall bolt head lower? held trim?
and you can't push the bolt threw from under hood,thread isn't stopped at the hole or goop sticking it
Not sure what what bolt your talking about but maybe its whats keeping it so can you explain it a little more not sure what your talking about.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
weider1717

update: got it out I guess I was just being too gentle with it. The top bolt was the problem it never moved but the box is slotted I guess I finally got it at the right angle for the box to slide out from the bolt.