The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
hammerdog57

residual valve question

I am getting ready to install a ccp frame mounted brake booster set up for four wheel disc brakes. Question i have are residual valves nessesary for the setup i am running? Fluid level in master cylinder will be about 3 inches above front caliper bleeder and about 1 inch above rear caliper bleeder.
hammerdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: residual valve question

Probably not, gravity being what it is, but why take any chance? They're cheap and easy to install. Many, including the factory units, used RP valves on firewall mounted units because a little positive pressure in the lines is good insurance against air and contamination.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Chevette

Answer: Yes. Because the MC is lower than the brake cylinders, you will need a 2lb/10lb valve or other means of preventing back-flow. At least that's what I remember from my first build.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
hammerdog57

Anyone have some pics of there brake booster setup and residual valves installed?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Detroit3100

in the same boat, their page has so many different options. I noticed that the complete pedal and booset does not have the p-valve but the booster seperate has the prop value that has the check valves built in???

What lines are you going to run?? Have any links? Been looking alot at plumbing.
Detroit3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
hammerdog57

checked there website and couldnt find any mention of built in residual valves.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
parkwood

These are the best one's i have.. even though they are on a Model A frame the brakes will be the same... this A had four wheel disc brakes that's why the residual valve's are the same color... drums take a red one..
Attached Images

parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
hammerdog57

I am going to install the valves but i have another question. valves have an arrow on them. I assume this is the direction of the fliud flow?
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
mr48chev

I'm not sure on that one Hammerdog57 as I haven't done any research on the subject yet.

I see that the Wilwood units that Speedway has are marked mc and out http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwoo...-PSI,1377.html With that I would suspect that the arrow on yours is the out side.

Normally disk brake setups run the 2 lb residual valves front and rear. An adjustable equalizer valve in the rear brake line as you can see just behind the crossmember and in front of the residual valve in the rear brake line on the Model A frame that Parkwood posted is a good thing to have too as it allows you to tune the front/rear braking ratio.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
hammerdog57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'm not sure on that one Hammerdog57 as I haven't done any research on the subject yet.

I see that the Wilwood units that Speedway has are marked mc and out http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwoo...-PSI,1377.html With that I would suspect that the arrow on yours is the out side.

Normally disk brake setups run the 2 lb residual valves front and rear. An adjustable equalizer valve in the rear brake line as you can see just behind the crossmember and in front of the residual valve in the rear brake line on the Model A frame that Parkwood posted is a good thing to have too as it allows you to tune the front/rear braking ratio.
That is what i ment when i said the direction of the flow of brake fluid. Arrow would be pointed to calipers. This is the same brake booster i bought. Came with proportioning valve block for four wheel disc brakes.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Speedbumpauto

Your proportioning valve block may already have RP valves. Arrow in direction of flow(caliper) and as close to MC as possible. Here's mine. The rear is hidden by the crossmember.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
hammerdog57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
Your proportioning valve block may already have RP valves. Arrow in direction of flow(caliper) and as close to MC as possible. Here's mine. The rear is hidden by the crossmember.
Going to contact them to see if valves are built in.