The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
taylor800r

my 49 bed depth

Geting ready to build my 49 3100 and puting it on s-10 chassie,can i keep the depth of the bed floor??i would like to put it on air also,i have an s-10 chassie thats like new and its a nice swapp from what i can see, and hear.
taylor800r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: my 49 bed depth

There are several AD truck S-10 Swap builds on here that show what the guys did with the floors on the beds. If you aren't gong to notch the frame you might get by with leaving the floor at the original depth but if you do a notch it will have to be raised accordingly.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor800r View Post
Geting ready to build my 49 3100 and puting it on s-10 chassie,can i keep the depth of the bed floor??i would like to put it on air also,i have an s-10 chassie thats like new and its a nice swapp from what i can see, and hear.
What's a "chassie"? My truck has a chassis.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
taylor800r

thanks for the replys.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
rollinrooster

You will have to raise the bed floor because of the way the s-10 frame kicks up in the rear. I'm in the middle of a '49 s-10 swap myself.
rollinrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
taylor800r

Thumbs up Re: my 49 bed depth

Hey rollinrooster....i've been looking at your project and its awesome,nice work.i kinda figured the bed would need to be raised but i have heard that there are people out there that are modifying the location of the fenders on the box-sides, just was wondering how they did in fact do that if thats the case? but yes your truck looks very cool.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
Hey rollinrooster....i've been looking at your project and its awesome,nice work.i kinda figured the bed would need to be raised but i have heard that there are people out there that are modifying the location of the fenders on the box-sides, just was wondering how they did in fact do that if thats the case? but yes your truck looks very cool.
That usually doesn't look quite right in the end and it's a lot better to raise the bed floor a few inches.

Unless you are working with a bed that someone just redid in the past few years all the wood needs replaced anyhow and what I would do is set the bed on the frame without any floor in it and get things lined up right with the cab and go from there.

There are a couple of other factors involved and one of those is how high you set the cab off the frame. When you go though the build threads you will see that most of the S-10 swaps involve having the cab set several inches up off the frame to get everything lined up the way it needs to be.
One of our members shared his design for the brackets to mount the cab that you can use to build your own brackets quite easily and inexpensively. Or any welding shop can follow his instructions in short order to build the brackets.
The S 10 swap isn't a free lunch though as it involves a lot of hours of fitting and fabricating or a huge outlay of cash for the pre-made kit that a couple of vendors sell.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
taylor800r

Great.....thanks for all the advise,helps me out alot.i am thinking now on choping the back half of the s10 frame off and building a custom tail,so that i can keep the bed as close as possible to what the 49 came with,as i dont like the fact of when the gate is open i will now have a lift in the bed floor,i think if the hump over the axle is close enough to the sides i will be able to hide the rails in the wheel tubb. thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
rollinrooster

Quote:
Great.....thanks for all the advise,helps me out alot.i am thinking now on choping the back half of the s10 frame off and building a custom tail,so that i can keep the bed as close as possible to what the 49 came with,as i dont like the fact of when the gate is open i will now have a lift in the bed floor,i think if the hump over the axle is close enough to the sides i will be able to hide the rails in the wheel tubb. thanks
You dont have to raise the floor much. Thats alot of work to cut the rear of the frame off just to save a few inches of bed depth. (just my opinion)
rollinrooster is offline   Reply With Quote