The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
diabloceto

Losing coolant out of radiator?

I have a 1972 Cheyenne with a 350 motor and I have been noticing lately that I am losing coolant out of the radiator. It is enough so when I look into the radiator I can see the top of the coils and such in it. I have not been seeing any water leaking out of it when I stop or any steam coming out anywhere when running the motor. The motor has not been running hot either. I did notice that the whole passenger side of the radiator running down the side is covered with a bunch of greenish junk. Any suggestions or is this normal? Thanks in advance for any help.
diabloceto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
mrein3

Re: Losing coolant out of radiator?

It is normal to get greenish junk running down the passenger side of the radiator. The factory system doesn't have a closed system. If you keep filling it up to the top it will keep coming out the overflow tube. Stop adding and keep an eye on the temp gauge. "Normal" is a couple inches down from the top of the open radiator cap. Only check when cold of course.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
diabloceto

Okay thanks, guess I used to new vehicles and how they are always full to the top. Oh and the greenish junk is actually on the driver side, I misspoke. Thanks again.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloceto View Post
Okay thanks, guess I used to new vehicles and how they are always full to the top. Oh and the greenish junk is actually on the driver side, I misspoke. Thanks again.
Now that is a different story. You should probably look at where the greenish junk is coming from. If it isn't the overflow tube (passenger side) you have a leak. Does it go all the way up to the radiator hose? Make sure that clamp is tight.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
diabloceto

I replaced all the hoses not long ago because they were looking a bit brittle, and the clamps are tight double checked that a bunch of times. The green stuff is all down that side right underneath the where the top part meets the fins and about an inch into the radiator. I think it might just be time for a new one it was on the agenda anyway. 40 years is a long time for a radiator to last might as well bite the bullet. Thanks again, you certainly helped a ton.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I would take it to a radiator shop to have it checked. Not sure how much it costs over there but a few years ago I had mine rodded and checked for leaks -cost was about $40.

Afterwards, install an overflow tube. They're cheap and easy to install and keeps you from having to add water/antifreeze to the truck on a regular basis.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
MagmaJct

Sometimes the leak is so small is comes out as a mist, not leaving any "spots" on the driveway!

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
diabloceto

Yeah drove it to the radiator shop today and there is a leak over there it is small but not able to be repaired. So I'll be springing for a new one when I get paid. Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloceto View Post
Yeah drove it to the radiator shop today and there is a leak over there it is small but not able to be repaired. So I'll be springing for a new one when I get paid. Thanks again everyone.
Just out of curiousity, what reason did they give for not being able to fix it?
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
diabloceto

Well first off none of the radiator shops here repair radiators like they used to something about the chemicals to do it are too expensive to handle anymore due to new EPA or something so it's easier/cheaper to just replace them. So he said the leak was from the top tank and they couldn't replace that if that is what I understood. Hell the thing is 40 years old I figure the old girl deserves a new cooling system.

Diabloceto