The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
jojoman

supercharged

I was just wondering if i can just bola a small super charger to my 383 i really dont know what all it has in the inside of it it name with the truck is camm with vortec heads and headers that us as much as u can say by looking at it
Posted via Mobile Device
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: supercharged

Depends on your compression. If your compression is to high you will hav to run race fuel as the supercharger raises the compression a couple points
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
silvereagle07

Agreed ^^^. Stock compression on a vortec 350 is around 9.4. Check out this article on a budget build vortec engine with a supercharger in Car craft. I was toying around with this idea on my engine too.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...d/viewall.html

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
ringger14

Was just looking in my Weiand book. If the compression is around 9.5-1, using their smallest supercharger at 6 lbs is going to put the compression to about 14.8-1. Itll work if you run the 2 lb boost setup but what would be the point of that haha. You can put power adders on anything you want, but for them to be effective the engine needs to be built for them. Cam, Low compression, forged internals ect.
ringger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
bustedknuckles

Without knowing what's in it would make it hard to know how much you can put on it. Main concern would be camshaft, fasteners, and compression ratio. With the right camshaft you can run more compression with boost. I am running a 9.4:1 vortec headed 383 with 6psi on it and its all setup for 10, so once its broke in I'll be swapping some pullies. I would say do a cam swap if you're gonna do a small blower and set it up with low boost at first and see how it reacts.

91 CCSB Dually

american squarebody association
bustedknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
jojoman

Well wen I bought the truck the guy who built the engine told me that everything inside was forged and I know for sure Im using supreme gas other wise is crap wen running and the cam I don't really know what size is it wat cam would ya reccomend to put in it really Im not trying to get anything over 6lbs I just want something to pass up them slow "pony's" how is the compression measured exactly and is there any way to do it now as it is and bustedknuckles um big fan bro saw you at the lonestar really that's why I wanna do It motivation
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
bustedknuckles

I had mine custom ground by cam motion. But to have a cam ground you need to know every single detail about your engine. You can go on summit or jegs site and pick an off the shelf blower cam. IIRC there is a way to measure compression by just checking it with a gauge, but not 100%. If I was you I'd figure out the compression, then pull the camshaft and measure it for lift, bc you don't want to get too big and have interference or valve spring issues.

91 CCSB Dually

american squarebody association
bustedknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
jojoman

So the only correct way to check compression is to take engine a part and find out what all parts I got or wat
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #9
andrewmp6

I think you can find out with just knowing the bore the stroke and the heads cc.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

RE: carkraft writeup:

Fine, but what crank, rods, pistons are they using---can the rotating assembly take it? And can a stock block take 450hp/450tq on a regular basis?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
andrewmp6

If your looking 5 to 8psi the stock block might hold anything higher then that i would look at a aftermarket block.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
rayfinseats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringger14 View Post
Was just looking in my Weiand book. If the compression is around 9.5-1, using their smallest supercharger at 6 lbs is going to put the compression to about 14.8-1. Itll work if you run the 2 lb boost setup but what would be the point of that haha. You can put power adders on anything you want, but for them to be effective the engine needs to be built for them. Cam, Low compression, forged internals ect.
I agree. I was gonna say it depends on how much blower pressure you run. Stock pistons don't like blowers much.

"Well wen I bought the truck the guy who built the engine told me that everything inside was forged" HAHAHAHAHA... Of course he did.

Last edited by rayfinseats; 03-04-2012 at 12:53 AM.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote