The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
KyFarm

Hard lesson of the day/benchseat springs

So I'm new to this, the '69 K10 I bought is my first classic truck. I'm doing/having a few thing done to it and know some mechanics out in the country that have worked on a great deal of this era trucks. They even have a 2wd '70 in their garage that is REAL nice.

I ordered a new houndstooth seatcover from the guy on this board that sells them and it arrives. So I took my seat out and asked my mechanic where he had his re-done. He tells me and i go there and drop it off this morning. Here is where the lesson begins.

The upholsterer calls me later today and asks me if I had another seat frame to bring in. I say of course not I just want the one I dropped off re-done and covered with the cover I brought in. He says this one needs a bunch of new springs. I said that I thought that is what he did and he says he doesn't have a source for them. I about wrecked my car. I was real excited to get a like new seat and now I have to buy another seat just to get that one fixed.

I get on the internet and it seems like every single part on the entire truck is available aftermarket except benchseat springs. Is that correct?

Does anybody have a source for benchseat springs? How hard are they to make? If they are just bent round stock I can do that myself.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1969 K-10, Short Step, (383HT/4L70E soon)-NP205
KyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Eddie H.

Re: Hard lesson of the day/benchseat springs

it's pretty common to find a few broken springs on the driver's side. They can be repaired fairly easily using some "spring steel", out of another old seat, an old mattress, couch, chair, etc. Just another challenge you run into when rebuilding an old vehicle.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Hard lesson of the day/benchseat springs

^ Yep. It's part of the challenge. You have to go to a salvage yard and try to find old trucks to salvage from. Either that or swap for a newer seat that's similar and you can adapt it to fit your truck.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote