The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
evobuilder

is it worth 8 grand?

I came across a 49 shortbed, runs awesome (350/400 auto), 4" chop, 4 wheel disks, ford 9", front clip, power windows, shaved door handles, but needs paint and interior. Should cost me about 8K (I am doing a trade) but wanted to get some experienced opinions.... like I said, it runs awesome, but needs cosmetics and some tlc. Current owner drives daily so mechaincally doesn't seem to be an issue. Is 8k a good deal?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
va4cqd

Re: is it worth 8 grand?

seems high
va4cqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
evobuilder

agreed, I have decided to keep looking. After putting some thought behind it, I think its too high as well.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
meter swinger

Seems a little high. I see similar ones for less around the NW. Some people want top dolloar for everything. Keep looking there out there. A buddy is considering a 52 five window with killer patina for 2k if hes passes on it ill put a link up.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
jocko

well, hold on a minute - if you want it chopped, and it's done well - bodywork on the chop at least complete, then you might save yourself some hard work (or $$) if you planned to chop in the future on one that wasn't - BUT, most folks don't seem to want a chopped truck unless it's for a full-on custom that goes bananas and really is top to bottom gold plated (or could just be my imagination, but ya don't see MANY chopped trucks of these years like you do cars of the same era). So, a chopped truck is usually priced lower than a similar condition stocker. Again - if you want a chopped truck, you might come out a head on this one. If you don't or aren't sure - then run don't walk away. All things being equal - I think it is priced too high for what you describe like the rest of the folks.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
dsl30263

Personally, I think it's hard to price a truck sight unseen. What does the clip job look like? Is the wiring nice and neat, or does it need going through? What about the wheels and tires? Are they what you want? Are the rotors going to need replacing soon? What about the brake plumbing? How about the radiator? Is it good to go- or marginal? There's a lot to take into consideration. Just sayin'...
dsl30263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
well, hold on a minute - if you want it chopped, and it's done well - bodywork on the chop at least complete, then you might save yourself some hard work (or $$) if you planned to chop in the future on one that wasn't - BUT, most folks don't seem to want a chopped truck unless it's for a full-on custom that goes bananas and really is top to bottom gold plated (or could just be my imagination, but ya don't see MANY chopped trucks of these years like you do cars of the same era). So, a chopped truck is usually priced lower than a similar condition stocker. Again - if you want a chopped truck, you might come out a head on this one. If you don't or aren't sure - then run don't walk away. All things being equal - I think it is priced too high for what you describe like the rest of the folks.
I tend to disagree with that statement. A well done chopped truck will normally bring about 25% more than a similar truck without a chop. The fallacy a completely stock truck will bring better prices than a modified truck is disproved every day with the sale prices of trucks around the country. A hundred point National award winning factory original restored truck might bring high dollar but usually stock trucks top out far below well modified trucks price wise. All you have to do is check the selling prices of the trucks.

Evobuilder 8K doesn't sound that far out of line for what is there if everything is done right and it's all in good shape. If you like the truck you have to stop and figure out what it would cost to do one similar.
Cost of buying a project in respectable condition.
Cost of having it subframed correctly and having the rear end swapped.
Cost of the chop it's self.
Cost of the engine and trans.
If the glass is done that's a chunk of change.
If it has a decent interior
Add in the other things the truck has that you would have to buy.
Then figure out how many months or years of labor you would have to put in to build a truck that was in a similar condition.
I don't think too many of the guys who chimed in above could build a similar truck for under 8k unless they are pretty good bargain hunters, can wheel and deal and trade and can do 80% of their own work.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Russell Ashley

" 49 shortbed, runs awesome (350/400 auto), 4" chop, 4 wheel disks, ford 9", front clip, power windows, shaved door handles,"

Sounds like it has a lot of the good stuff already. If it's all done well and won't require a lot of re-work the price doesn't seem out of line to me. It would be hard to buy a decent truck and then do all of that for less than $8K.

Another plus is that you can actually drive it. I haven't driven mine other than short test drives in the neighborhood in over two years so the driveable part has become more attractive to me lately,LOL.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Speedbumpauto

A well done chop + windshield will cost you $3-$4 grand. Ask me how I know. With that in mind, it seems reasonable.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
skip99

Wink Re: is it worth 8 grand?

8K for all that? not bad at all... IF it's done right.. I've got hundreds of hours into my chop..and am just now getting the rear all posi'ed and geared up..
post some pics....and location.....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
_Ogre

if it's done right, yes.
big if, especially since you can't drive it.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
coralhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by evobuilder View Post
I came across a 49 shortbed, runs awesome (350/400 auto), 4" chop, 4 wheel disks, ford 9", front clip, power windows, shaved door handles, but needs paint and interior. Should cost me about 8K (I am doing a trade) but wanted to get some experienced opinions.... like I said, it runs awesome, but needs cosmetics and some tlc. Current owner drives daily so mechaincally doesn't seem to be an issue. Is 8k a good deal?
$8K plus a trade? Depends on what you are give in trade plus $8K.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Bucktard

Hey Evo, like the others were saying. If it is all done rite that isn't a bad price, be hard to do it for 8 grand. Post some pics if you can, my son is looking for a project along those lines. Thanks
Bucktard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
duwem

My question is: "is it what you want"

If your going to yank the engine and trans out and put something else in thats not worth much to you.

4" chop is a LOT, I think they look dumb with that much, but thats an opinion. No offense to those that have one like that.

Was the front clip done nicely?

Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=435302
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote