The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
TSierra

Salvage Title?

Hi All-

I am looking a really nice 72 that was restored, but it's a salvage title.

Would it be a true to say that most trucks of this vintage are salvaged with all of the rebuilds going on?

Or... would the salvage title decrease the value of the truck?

Thanks in advance.
TSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Salvage Title?

No, I would not say that most 72 trucks have salvage titles - i'd say the original title is much more common that a salvage title.

If you're concerned (which you apparently are) I'd make sure everything is cool with DMV, then you might feel better buying it.

It's only my personal approach, but I steer away from salvage or state-issued non-VIN matching titles. I'm not sure it hurts the value of the truck - but I do believe it will shrink your number of interested parties if you sell it. But again, if you really are interested, check with DMV and find out what that really means in MT and then decide with a clear conscience. Also recall that states have many different rules for titles, etc - so if you're on a border, might want to see what the case is in nearby states also in case you sell later. Recommend NOT buying it if you aren't sure. Others can chime in with more experience with salvage titles (mine is limited) and maybe other potential risks to having one. May be no risks at all - but at least you'll be more comfortable knowing that when you go to deal. Doesn't mean ya can't work him down on the price anyway...
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
TSierra

Thanks Jocko,

I appreciate the reply and will consider your suggestions.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Dynomutt

Talk to your insurance company too, some won't insure a vehicle with a salvage title, mine won't.

Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446194
Dynomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
C/10 King

Why was it salvaged? I once found a nice 72' that was stolen in 84' and found a year later, thus ending up in the junk yard because the insurance company had paid off the owner and didn't want a 12 year old truck, so it was sold as a salvage truck, I never found anything wrong with it.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
jocko

was that Nacho's illegitimate third cousin?
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Chevyman680063

I agree with checking with your insurance company and DMV. When I bought my '63 it didn't have a title but the insurance company told me it was ok by them and the state. The insurance company told me to just ask the guy I was buying it from to write up a bill of sale saying that he sold a 1963 Chevrolet C10 to me for X-amount of dollars on such and such date.

1968 Chevrolet C10 Short Step
Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
rsavage

IMO, a salvage title definitely lowers resale value. If you are buying it at the right price to enjoy that's one thing. If you are buying it thinking that you will sell it in the future and get a price comparable with a like truck with a regular title, I believe you will be disappointed.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
riversidebigblockC20

I have been working in the car business for about 20 years as a car purchasing agent.
As a rule of thumb, a vehicle with a salvage title is worth about 50% of a non salvaged vehicle.
There could also be a problem getting a salvaged vehicle financed or insured.
I always stayed away from them.
Usually there is a serious reason why it was salvaged.
Buyer beware.
riversidebigblockC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #10
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have to agree, the salvage title does detract from the resale value. One thing to think about tho....it does not take much damage to a 72 vehicle , to have an ins company total it. If you like the truck, have somebody that works in crash repairs inspect it for you? It may very well be one that was lightly damaged, & still make a nice old truck for you(purchased for the right money). As already mentioned, you might talk with your ins company & see how they feel about insuring it. One more thought....if the truck is ever damaged while YOU own it, you may have a fight with the ins company on repairs due to that salvage title. Happy hunting,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

I don't think a "salvaged" vehicle always means it was wrecked or stolen. Couldn't this just be a vehicle bought out of a junkyard? Might be nothing ever wrong with it.

Once a junkyard gets a car, they usually send the titles in to the DMV with JUNK written on it. To title a car from a junkyard from that point gets you a salvaged title. (an old friend did this with a 62 Cadillac once)

Still not very desirable to most knowing the vehicle was once junked either!

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
jeep534

my 94 jeep has a salvage title because it was in a flood i found Mud everywhere up in it but for my use ( i replaced all the drive train it was perfect.
archie =) =) =)
jeep534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
TSierra

Thanks everyone for all of the valuable information.

I will get more answers as to why it is salvaged, but my impression after talking with him was because he pieced it together. He "found a better cab" and so on.... which I assumed was the reason for the salvaged title.

The truck will be 100% for my own enjoyment. However, I do plan on doing a few more things to it, and since we never know what the future holds I would like to know that my investment is in a solid foundation. I'd hate to get it, put the money in it and find that if I had to sell for some reason I would be hard pressed to find a buyer because of the title.

All good perspectives everyone. Thank you very much.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
cdowns

50 different state 50 different sets of laws concerning salvage

i look at them as parts vehicles only/// too difficult when trying to resell

there are millions of these trucks still around with clean clear valid titles
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
hugger6933

I have been building wrecks ands buying insurance trucks since the latr 1980's. As said above each state has different rules about the salvage designation on the titles and some even have varing degrees of salvage titles, ie damaged salvage junk parts only or permit to dismantle. They are telling you right to check with the state DMV and if it comes from another state that is important as well. In Ar if I buy a out of state salvage truck it has to be inspected by the state police. If it is in state no inspection just a rebuild appilcation. Now on the value 50% is crazy high and he is a buyer with keyword there being buyer , now if he were selling salvage title trucks he would agree saying yes it does hurt the value some but not a lot. Also checking with the state can help in that some states still " wash" title meaning that it has a mark and after a time or two of changing ownership the mark goes away. And lastly the salvage title laws are good imo but are way unfair. I have bought two trucks at once one could ride home in the bed of the other and the one crumpled in a ball COULD have a good title and the one with fender damage have a salvage one
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote