The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
66crewcab

Shipping from Oregon to Va??

I need some help...I bought a 1971 Jimmy from Oregon...it's now nearly a month and I can't get anyone willing to transport it! Most r saying that they don't go to Oregon? What is it somekind of War Zone up there? I've had things shipped from all other areas and never had any problems I also added more money to the cause and still no takers! Any help in this matter will be much appreciated!
66crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
66crewcab

Re: Shipping from Oregon to Va??

Well...I guess all it takes is to gripe alittle and things happen! They just called and r picking it up today!It'll b here in 5 days! Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Firebirdjones

Never heard that one before. When I lived in Ohio I had stuff shipped in from out West all the time without a single issue. Both open trailers and enclosed. I've used a few different companies and they were always willing to do the job. Sometimes I just had to wait a couple days while they packed more cars in the schedule. They won't make the trip just for one car obviously.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
66crewcab

I think that what was working against me was the holidays(noone works then)and Oregon must not be a heavy traffic area for shipping vehicles and not to mention that it might be snowing up there?last year I bought a 72 3/4 4x4 burban that I also had a time to get 'cause he was 2 hours out in the desert and near nothing! But I got it finally! So I live near DC and I sold a 911 to a guy in Switzeland and that sucker got picked up the next day! It's all in wear u live!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
drunkbus

I live on the Oregon coast and had my Blazer shipped to New Jersey a few months ago and it was a nightmare. I'm only an hour drive from the main interstate that runs from Canada to Mexico and nobody wanted to touch it. All the companies would say I was in a "gray zone" and their trucks couldn't make it here which is horsesh*t. Like I said it would have only been an hour drive over and back on a highway to get onto the interstate but I guess that was enough for them to just drop the job completely. One company ended up sending a guy over with a pickup and car trailer to transport it over to the interstate where I'm assuming a semi picked it up. Never have heard if it made it to New Jersey or not.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
66crewcab

They say it'll be here in 5 days? I sure hope so...I hope that it's as nice as the pic's but u know how the cameras lie a bit! He sent me a ton of shots of it and I am still a handshake and my word kinda guy so I hope aaaaaand he was honest to me as far as I know? I sent hiw the money and I have the title so I'll keep my fingers crossed! I was wanting yours when it was up for sale but I didn't get to it before it was sold! I like the Hickey roof rack and 1 tons!Good work!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
boonedogs72

nothing but problems getting a rig i bought shipped out..... Set on the list for pickup for over 3 months. Needless to say i resold the vehicle.
boonedogs72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Firebirdjones

3 months? Holy cow, what low ball outfits are you guys using?

As far as the far North Western coast goes, there are instances, especially this time of year, where snow fall over the mountains shuts those highways down (like I-80 for instance). When weather systems move through it's really a crap shoot as to whether you can get through or not. So I could see where there would be some hesitation on the trucking companies part if that were the case.

It really helps also if you live out in the boonies, to offer meeting up at a central location where there is easy access in and out, and plenty of room for the semi to turn around. They really appreciate that, and it can reflect the overall price. It's really common courtisy as far as I'm concerned and it's no big deal to drive 30 miles to get the deal done.
Some of these guys haul multi-million dollar cars around, so they don't like to travel on half ass roads or get in situations they can't get out of. Something to consider.

Next time, try Intercitylines. They are top notch, and carry multi-million dollar insurance policies to cover a misfortune, and they have always picked up and delivered on time for me with no complaints. People like Jay Leno uses them, and it's one of the main transporters here at the Barrett Jackson Auction. They sit here all week ready to transport anything anywhere.

That's also another hang up you might run into. Alot of the good companies make most of their revenue at these auctions, and if you pick a week where there is a big auction happening anywhere in the country, things tend to get booked up also.

Just some things to consider, hope that helps....
Old 03-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
ThreeQtr

Did it make it?
I'm looking for a shipper to pick-up a suburban in Montana and ship to me in Florida.
Most quotes are more than the truck and my request of a rate around $1,300 have been declined.
ThreeQtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Firebirdjones

$1300? Is that open trailer? Could be the cost of gas now that is driving up shipping costs. I've seen diesel fuel steadily start to climb now.

Probably another domino effect going to happen with rising gas costs, not what this economy needs right now.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
ThreeQtr

Open trailer is fine. To get a low rate it will probably be a muti-car hauler.
I did get a quote from one of the larger shippers (in number of transports per year) of $1,647.41. They show over 1600 trips with a 95% + satisfaction rate.
The only thing that scares me off is they also had over 571 cancellations and many say do to a no show ,plus no comunication with the clients.
ThreeQtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Firebirdjones

Well that doesn't sound that bad considering the distance.

You are near Palm Beach, not far from the bottom of Florida. I checked distance from Great Falls, Montana (about the middle of the state) for a rough estimate and it shows 2,637 miles.

I do a rough figure that's high at about a $1 a mile, (but it's probably slightly less) so when you do the math, it's alot of dough. $1,600 is about $1,000 less than what I would initially expect.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
68panelman

My blazer was shipped from Washington state to Long Island New York last May. My quotes were $1200. Truck was paid for, and waiting on pick-up list for 2 weeks. I called the company everyday until a trucker called me. I did have to add $200 for rising cost of diesel. Personally i thought the whole thing was a giant F-show, especially when the truck is paid for allready.The trucking company was Cascade, but i think they sub out to someone else, cause the rig was registered in NY.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
Firebirdjones

Alot of them do sub out if you don't deal with a bigger company.

Still $1200 is dirt cheap for that distance, even if you added $200.

I quote $1 a mile for several reasons. I don't like to go any more than a day trip. So anywhere within about 12 hours of central Arizona. I tow an enclosed so I mainly haul around concours show cars that don't see weather.
Frankly I don't do it often because I don't like it, and I hope when asked that the price scares people away, but they still bite. I'd rather stay home and restore the cars rather than deliver. At a $1 a mile it barely covers expenses of food, overnight stay at a motel and 24 hours of driving time. I get 8-10 mpg towing, at a distance of about 700 miles each way I can hit Northern California or anywhere parallel on the map, Colorado etc.... spend the night and drive back the next day. That's roughly 175 gallons of gas at $4-$4.50 a gallon (right now). Plus food, motel, wear and tear on my truck.
Doing the math, I don't pocket much.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
68panelman

Yea the price did not bother me as much as the lack of communication with the company.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #16
Firebirdjones

I can certainly understand that. I've noticed communication going down hill, even before they take your money. No one even gives a courtesy call anymore. Not like it's difficult to pick up the phone and press buttons.