The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
ABX131

Newbie with a tranny question??

my 63' truck has a 350 with a th350 with a Transgo shift kit. I don't like it. I don't like how you have to drive it like a manual. What is the purpose or advantage of this? Is it external or internal? If it is external I want to convert it back otherwise I will have to swap the tranny....Also I want to switch it back to a column shift, it is currently on the floor. I heard that a column from a 68-72 will bolt right in, is that correct? I may have a line on a free one..I have access to a full machine shop if some mods are necessary..
ABX131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Greshampiglet

Re: Newbie with a tranny question??

welcome to the forum
I'm not real sure about your Tranny, does it shift real hard? sounds like it could be the shift kit that was put in, as far as the steering column I used a 78' full size blazer it bolted right in not alot of mods
Old 03-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
ABX131

It does not shift hard at all. I got an instruction sheet in the glove box on how to drive it. From N shift all the way back to 1, then 2, then to 3....It stays in which ever gear you put it in and will not auto shift at different RPM points. I was told it was for off roading so you could control the shifting.... also has this electric switch on the dash...when you get above 45 mph, turn on and it will lock up the torque converter and improve gas mileage by dropping rpms....I can live with that but cant' stand the shifting....linkage is very loose and very easy to bump into another gear. No shift gate or pattern indicator so it is easy to forget which gear I am in. I want to switch back to a column shift with the PRND21 pointer on top but would like to use a column that appears a bit more "period correct".
Old 03-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
T Smith

Sounds like it has a full manual valve body in it...
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
ABX131

Is that external or internal? How hard is it to switch back? I don't know a lot about these things...
Old 03-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
jocko

the valve body is located internally, kinda just inside the pan. If u hate it, and aren't confident in your trans rebuild prowess, I'd pay a trans shop to go back to stock. It's one thing to start with a stock trans, buy a kit, follow the directions, and hop it up - it's quite another to take a hopped up one and try to get it back to stock without directions.... It should be a no-brainer for a trans shop, they should have TH350 stock valve bodies just laying around. Don't feel bad, I wouldn't like it either - if I wanted a manual trans, I'd have that (and I do).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
ABX131

Thank you for the clarity...For what a tranny shop would charge, I would rather find one to swap out and just sell the other one..I have pulled trannys and motors before but I have never torn one apart. Not my thing....
Old 03-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
gofastnut

It's actually not that bad. If you're gonna pull the tranny. Drain it and turn it upside down. take off the bolts holding on the valve body, and a couple of little linkage pcs. Then use a new gasket and install the stock type valve body. I'm sure you can get some instructions from the web. There are a couple of little check balls that you have to keep track of where they go. You could call Transtar for a stock rebuilt valve body with upgrades (upgrades mean they address all known problem areas) I think there's an instruction sheet that comes with the valve body.
Hope this helps.
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'm not so sure that switching from a manual valve body to a stock one is as simple as just switching the valve body. I think there are a couple other things that will need to be changed as well. You might send a PM to member clinebarger here on the forum. He is one of our trans experts here on the forum.

So if you put the trans in drive it does not shift by itself?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
ABX131

Now that I know what I am dealing with I can do some more research...I am in no rush...
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
T Smith

The whole problem is unless you know who has done what, it could be a crap shoot getting it back to stock. As you stated, it may be best to swap it out, and selling yours with the full manual valve body to a racer should be pretty easy, you might even come out ahead on the deal.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
ABX131

Well then let me ask this: If I were to sell it, what is it worth? It was built by a local tranny shop. I think I will keep the lock up torque converter, it is supposed to save on gas on the highway if I understand it right.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
T Smith

If the shop is local and you know they did the work, it may be easy for them to change it back or maybe work out some kind of swap?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
pro1955

I agree with you sell it to someone for 250-350 bucks and find another stock one.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The only way a lockup converter is going to do you ant good is if you find another TH350C. That is the lockup version of the TH350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABX131 View Post
Well then let me ask this: If I were to sell it, what is it worth? It was built by a local tranny shop. I think I will keep the lock up torque converter, it is supposed to save on gas on the highway if I understand it right.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote