The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Exclamation NEED Speaker ideas for behind the seat.

I have not alot of room after the 03 tahoe seats are in and the NOS bottle. But I noticed that there is a bit of room in the cab corner area. Has any one built a custom speaker encloser for say a 6 X 9 or the now popular 6 inch round?? The gap is not big enough to fit in but if it where say one inch out you could use that area for the encloser with maybe a simple cut sound board to fit and hold the speaker.. Not looking to make this truck a sound system unit by any means. Simple alpine head unit and will buy the kick panel units with the speakers in them. Would like to add 2 more to the rear and call it good.
Attached Images

Last edited by GMR-PERFORMANCE; 02-29-2012 at 05:15 PM.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: NEED Speaker ideas for behind the seat.

I get enclosed speakers from J.C. Whitney. They fit in the corner real good on the 55-59 trucks & I imagine they will fit the later models also. They sound good. This last time I put them on with felcro. I can easily remove them if I want to.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr-performance View Post
i have not alot of room after the 03 tahoe seats are in and the nos bottle. But i noticed that there is a bit of room in the cab corner area. Has any one built a custom speaker encloser for say a 6 x 9 or the now popular 6 inch round?? The gap is not big enough to fit in but if it where say one inch out you could use that area for the encloser with maybe a simple cut sound board to fit and hold the speaker.. Not looking to make this truck a sound system unit by any means. Simple alpine head unit and will buy the kick panel units with the speakers in them. Would like to add 2 more to the rear and call it good.
how do you like that alpine?
Sick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
GMR-PERFORMANCE

HMMM I cannot say much. It was easy to set up, simple deal on blue tooth.. I have been an alpine fan for years. I had a kenwood in my old tahoe and hated the thing. Way too many steps to get things done. But that is just my opinion some guys love em.. I look for ease of use, and being that I never had one single issue with the alpines in the past it was a simple choice for me thig time.. BTW my wife got the kenwood as a gift and I never told her... SHHHHH My son has it now and he likes it. I bought a remote as well. I am not a fan of fiddling with the buttons while driving. Almost like texting if you ask me. So simple is good me for.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

HA HA Ha.. Im big fan of Alpine as well but i pretty much had my hands on other brands as well. the one thing that sold me on alpine was the way can tweak your sound..
so what are you looking to add there in the back of the seat.
Sick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
TopFuel1966

This is a custom enclosure with two 6" Infinitys and a 10" Kicker sub that was made to fit behind the seat with the gas tank removed. The front kick panels have the same Infinitys w/ tweeters.
Attached Images

TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Well I think I will have to take a pic but lets see if I can get this across with making myself dumber than I already am..

If you look behind the seat into the cab corner you have an area that is approx 5.75 wide by over 16 inches tall. This area is wasted space really, so I was wondering if anyone had made a custom box that would fit into that area. I understand the size of the speaker is larger acorss than the opening. But you have a few inches in front of that area where the door seal sits to work with.

If you look in this pic you can see where the seat sits and where the bottle is located. Just behind that bottle is the corner I am looking to install a speaker box. Never mind the dog its the wifes , it thinks its going for a ride.. ha ha .
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuel1966 View Post
This is a custom enclosure with two 6" Infinitys and a 10" Kicker sub that was made to fit behind the seat with the gas tank removed. The front kick panels have the same Infinitys w/ tweeters.
Looks great but leaves no room for the NOS bottle. I am more about go than show or better said sound. I am just looking for a basic set up. I looked at the wedge speakers that soe guys posted about that sit in front of the seat, but I can see those flying out and being under my feet.. My luck is it would get tangle in the pedals. About that time you would see a speaker get tossed out the side window..

Keep the ideas and pictures coming. I am not a fan of working with wood.. I can machine and hine things down and do every day to the .0001 of an inch but wood is just gives me fits.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
60_project

That NOS bottle really messes you up, I think go with a blower and ditch the NOS... Unless you have a blower AND NOS then well your just crazy.

Kidding aside I have been toying with a similiar idea for speakers in that area, I was thinking weld tabs top and bottom and then make a paperboard template and lay fiberglass over it while it's in place. I figure I could contour it to match the upper corner remove it, then finish and paint it to match interior color screw it back in and it would look slick.
60_project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I agree you could seal off the upper part and sound mat it. ( i have already put the mat in and then sprayed the undercoating in that area.) you now have a decent size encloser.

Here is a pic of bike we just got done. It does have a blower and makes 222 hp and 174 tq, may not sound like much but when it started out it made 65 hp and 77 tq LMAO .. Now you can vaporize the rear tire at 80 mph and the front wheel is floating along ...

88 inch stock now a 120 CI with 15 lbs of boost... the sound is killer when you back off the throttle and it blows off. I have startled several riders.. he he .

Well if you make the set up let me know..
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE View Post
Well I think I will have to take a pic but lets see if I can get this across with making myself dumber than I already am..

If you look behind the seat into the cab corner you have an area that is approx 5.75 wide by over 16 inches tall. This area is wasted space really, so I was wondering if anyone had made a custom box that would fit into that area. I understand the size of the speaker is larger acorss than the opening. But you have a few inches in front of that area where the door seal sits to work with.

If you look in this pic you can see where the seat sits and where the bottle is located. Just behind that bottle is the corner I am looking to install a speaker box. Never mind the dog its the wifes , it thinks its going for a ride.. ha ha .
There's a woofer on your front seat!

Seriously though, I picked up a pair of these from a buddy and they have surprised me, ordinarily I wouldn't have considered them but he had them and I gave them a listen and they really rock. I've got them under the seat with 60 watts kicking them along with some 4" coaxials in the stock dash speaker spot and it really sounds pretty good, and there is nothing showing at all

The undercover II's are what I have...

http://www.casmfg.com/Speaker%20Options.htm

Last edited by T Smith; 02-29-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: add link
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

If you're putting 6.5" s in the kickpanels what about using something like a 5"x7" or 4"x6" and standing them on end?
Something like this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086829...9cf.html?tp=93
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
GMR-PERFORMANCE

now the 5x7 is an idea... thanks for that.. I knew I could count on another harley guy.. lol.

I could get some wood to mount them and then put a small tab on the top and bottom to attach the wood. I may try a box but that gets a bit more in depth. I may be able to get some small boxes pre made that might work.

The under the seat ones look they will fit as well.. Great ideas how about a pic of the under the seat versions??
Old 02-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Use the cab corners as an enclosure just like you would if mounted in the doors. Think 'free air'.

I would even consider putting separates back there. My speakers are in the doors but my sub is mounted on the passenger side next to the tank.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Do you have room under the seats? You may fit an 8 in a sealed box there. Build one for each side. If you have room to stand it off the floor around 1 inch and have it fire down.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
leifs65

i thought about using my old gas tank and making a sub box out of it........looks like gas tank but SUPRISE...sub box. ok ok maybe im sniffing a few gas fumes today. lol
leifs65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #17
Chevy Fleetside

Here
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
biohazardbill

The only thing we ever used rear speakers were for fill.. and that was only in cars or extended cab pickups. If you are looking for bass then there is that but you are talking about 6" or 5x7 etc which arent low end drivers. In my opinion since you are already getting kick panels, get them without speakers. Get a good quality set of speakers and throw them in there along with a clean amp. With a setup like this you wont need rear speakers for mids and highs.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #19
hop sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE View Post
HMMM I cannot say much. It was easy to set up, simple deal on blue tooth.. I have been an alpine fan for years. I had a kenwood in my old tahoe and hated the thing. Way too many steps to get things done. But that is just my opinion some guys love em.. I look for ease of use, and being that I never had one single issue with the alpines in the past it was a simple choice for me thig time.. BTW my wife got the kenwood as a gift and I never told her... SHHHHH My son has it now and he likes it. I bought a remote as well. I am not a fan of fiddling with the buttons while driving. Almost like texting if you ask me. So simple is good me for.
x2 on alpine
hop sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #20
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

I made a center filler where the gas tank was, then made corner fillers, covered it all in grey vinyl to match the interior as best I could, then mounted my speakers. I ran the wires thru the shifter console I made.

1964 GMC Fleetside Shortbed....350/700R4 tranny
64GMCHorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
GMR-PERFORMANCE

well found something that works very well. Cost me 28 bucks and some change at walmart. I hooked it up it,.. fits great sounds decent. If the speakers dies I will upgrade but for what I paid the box was worth that alone.
Attached Images