The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
THE "10" SILVERADO

Engine trouble.

Okay, this might be lengthy but I'm trying to do my best troubleshooting.

350, 2 barrel carb (truck originally came with 305)

Last Wednesday, truck really started to run rough at idle and felt like I was in a really lopey car vibrating back and forth. Also started to to delay when on gas and acted like it wanted to die if I barley got on it.

Next day. Won't run at all. Barley got out of the parking lot at school and died everytime I slowed down or turned.

Once I got home I took apart the air cleaner and it seemed like the butterfly wasn't working properly. I tied it open to see if that was the problem but the engine wouldn't run at idle at all.

Jump to today. I was finally able to get over to my mom's house to work on it. I figured the fuel filter might be clogged and took apart the two nuts at the carburetor to find NO FILTER. I checked the lines and there is NO FILTER BETWEEN TANK AND CARB. Took a trip to parts house and got a filter and carb cleaner. Come back and the filter is to big. The thing is like 1.5 inches long and is to long. I got everything specific to a 350, 2 barrel carb. Maybe the carb was on the 305 and transfered? Are there a difference in 305 carbs and 350? It was getting dark so I couldn't run back to the store.

I sprayed everything down VERY good with carb cleaner and the thing is running okay for now. It is still a little lopey to me and lags when I get on the gas.

Now here is the question. Since there isn't a filter and I have the wrong one what type of filter should I look for (for the carburetor)? Also what else could be causing these problems? I have no idea. I'm thinking maybe the timing is off or something?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated because this is supposed to be my daily driver.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
TurnNBurn

Re: Engine trouble.

I had a qjet do that I had to take the top off and blow out the low speed jets. I had a piece of rubber from the fuel line in it. Cleaned it out with carb cleaner and away I went. Something must be plugged, if it doesnt stink like its loading up I would say its leaning out that would cause the bog. Maybe ignition module goin out, but usually the just quit when it goes out , but maybe
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
I had a qjet do that I had to take the top off and blow out the low speed jets. I had a piece of rubber from the fuel line in it. Cleaned it out with carb cleaner and away I went. Something must be plugged, if it doesnt stink like its loading up I would say its leaning out that would cause the bog. Maybe ignition module goin out, but usually the just quit when it goes out , but maybe
I was really hoping not to have to pull it apart because I know nothing of carburetors...yet I guess. I don't think it is the ignition module because it already went out on me and I had to replace
Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
TurnNBurn

I guess I really cant think of anything else at the moment but I put my thinkin hat
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
beamn7

There are 2 different size filters for the Qjet. One is the long one and one is the short one.... Most of our trucks take the short one. Long one was usually on center / straight fuel inlet Qjets on cars whereas ours are side entry.

I'm with TurnNBurn, you may want to take it apart and clean it. Who knows how long it's been running without a filter and how much sediment is in the bowl, etc. Pick up an overhaul kit and go after it. That's the only way you learn. Qjets are pretty easy if you just take your time and don't have anyone leaning over your shoulder! Lots of how to books out there as well....
Attached Images

beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
faribran

i have had good luck with taking the breather off the carb, start it, rev it up.. then put something over the top of carb.. this sucks any trash that might be causing problems out... its a cheap thing to try before you go taking the carb apart..