The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2003, 09:30 PM   #1
72longbed
Account Suspended

Question Experienced Opinions Needed

Just finished the ECE 2/4 drop on the C-20 this weekend. Rides really nice and smooth, but I noticed a couple of things. #1. The rear is now pushed over to the passenger side about 1" off center. #2. The panhard bar is just about level now at the new ride height.
My Questions are: Does the panhard bar have to be at a downhill angle when the rear is centered? Can I just get the adjustable bar and mount it in the standard location and correct the problem with a 1/2" adjustment? Or do I have to get the panhard bar that goes down to the lower shock mount location to re-establish a downhill angle at ride height?

A 27" bar will bring the rear back to center, I just don't know if it also has to have an angle at uncompressed ride height.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

72longbed
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:39 PM   #2
Stroker

I think the adjustable bar using the stock locations is fine for a 4 inch drop. Personally I would call ECE, their tech support is pretty good and they know their products.....Stroker
Old 09-14-2003, 09:40 PM   #3
68 Stepside
huh?

I'd also call ECE to be sure. I'm going with a 4" drop on the rear of my truck too, and need an adjustable panhard bar to re-center the axle.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 09:52 PM   #4
cdowns

i've got a 2/4 drop and you can't use a stock panhard you get the adjustable one in the stock location and it will be fine
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:14 PM   #5
72longbed
Account Suspended

Stroker,
I called ECE on this and they got a little flustered because I'm using a 1973 14 Bolt Full Floater which has a panhard bar bracket welded to the axel tube on the pass side. The stock bar is approximatly 28" long right now, and ECE seemed to not want to give me an opinion for the flat angle I now have. They said that their Super Trac Bar that mounts to the pass lower shock mount would not fit, but from what I measured, it will!! They also sell a 24" adjustable bar that would go in the stock 12 Bolt mounting location; I know that one won't work.

I guess they didn't want to tell me that their competition, CPP, sells a 27" adjustable trac bar, I had to search for myself. Thats OK, maybe they don't know that a 27" bar is a standard GM item from earlier pickups. CPP knows, and so do others!!

Anyway, you feel its OK to have the flat angle and just go with the adjustable 27" bar?
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:15 PM   #6
tom hand
CCRider

While adjustable panhard bars are nice, I lowered one of these trucks back in 84 when no parts where available to do it. To recenter the rearend I simply bent the stock bar with a hydralic jack...the big advantage was cost...0
Old 09-14-2003, 10:45 PM   #7
cb

72 Longbed
The ideal angle for the panhard rod is level when the supension is half way through its travel. That way you minimize the axle shift in both directions as the supension moves up and down. With the 4" drop you don't have much travel, therefore I would not worry about the rod being level as it sits.
Craig