The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
raylube

4x4 swap

Howdy, I already posted this in the 4wd forum but wanted to let the 60-66 people who may have expereince in this.
I have a 62 gmc 3/4 ton 2wd with the 305 v6 and manual trans and want to convert it to 4wd, it has torsion front and coil rears. I can get a 68 k20 frame and drive train to swap with manualtrans and 327. I was wanting any advise to this swap as i would like to keep the v6. What is the best way to approach this swap both are long beds and so i would assume the wheel base is close. If anybody can give advise that would be great thanks.
raylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
MalibuKasey
Artist

Re: 4x4 swap

Should be a fairly easy swap. Maybe have to move a body mount or two since its the newer body style.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
MalibuKasey
Artist

Engine mount location I would think would be in the same location. Tranny crossmember you could use the one from the 63 or make a new one.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The front frame horns are different, as well as the radiator support mounts, and the rear cab mounts are different on the '67-'72 as compared to the '63-'66's. As for mounting the V6 in that frame. I believe you won't be able to use the '68 motor mount crossmember. I happen to have a set of V6 motor mount brackets for a 4x4, and I am looking for a '67-'72 4x4 V8 motor mount crossmember. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
raylube

When you say the frame horns and rad support are different do you mean the bumper and support will not bolt up ? Would i just have to modify to fit? I am still working out the deal on the donor truck and am trying to get as much info as possible before i pull the trigger. The donor truck has a newer t-case and trans and was rebuilt by a gm trans about 4k miles ago and the front diff was rebuilt less than 500 miles ago. It has been converted to ps and has new warn hubs. Is does have the close knuckle front end and drum brakes, but thats ok as i am not going to drive it much and donT have the extra money to swap over the dualclutch and master cyl combo stock to the 62, the donor truck has no bed and the cab is rusted out. THE WHAT USED TO BE WHITE TRUCK WAS MY DADS THAT HE PASSED DOWN TO ME WOULD BE THE CONVERTED 4X4 SWAP AND THE ORANGE/RED TRUCK IS A ORIGINAL MASSEY FURGESON SHOP TRUCK FROM PRESTON IDAHO, THAT I HAVE LOWERED AND DONE SOME UPDATES SINCE THIS PHOTO WAS TAKEN, THE LOGOS ON THE DOOR HAVE FADED. I WILL TRY TO GET SOME NEW PHOTOS OF ALL 3 TRUCKS. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND IF I GET TO THAT POINT I WILL LET YOU KNOW ABOUT THE CROSSMEMBER.
Attached Images

raylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The frame horns are different since the '67-'72 bumpers have a different contour than the '60-'66 bumpers. This can be fixed by cutting and welding the frame horns from your GMC to the 4x4 frame. It seems like the location of the radiator support bracket is not quite in the right location, and the rear cab mounts are too low. You might try sending a PM to member ScotI, as he has actually done this frame swap, albeit on a 2wd, but it will be the same.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote