The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
scottbaxley

power steering gear box swap

I have had several requests for the installation of power steering on 67-72 pick-ups. The install requires PATIENCE and TIME! Everything else bolts into place!!
First, the correct power steering pump for the 350 engine mounts with three bolts, one of which is under the motor mount. The other two bolts go into the block next to the freeze plug. Don't be alarmed that the alternator belt runs between the pump and the pump pulley. This is supposed to happen!! The pump belt will run on the forwardmost groove of the pulley set.

The gear box swap is pretty straight forward with a couple small issues. The manual gear box is mounted with three bolts and the power unit is mounted with four. The frame will accept this without modification. The TWO mods that are required is that the steering coupler from the manual steering is about 1/16" smaller in diameter on the splined end. This can be remedied by getting the correct power unit coupler, or using a 3/4" drill bit to enlarge the coupler. I chose to enlarge the coupler. To make things safe, I drilled a hole after mounting the coupler to the gear box. I drilled a 3/16" hole through the coupler and gearbox shaft. I then used a pressure roll pin to secure the coupler. Then I put the bolt back in the clevis.

The bumper mount may need to be notched to accept the new gear box. I think the bumper mount may have been slightly bent on my '69. Line up the coupler with the steering shaft and reinstall the two nuts. If you need to replace the rubber rag joint, now is the time. Line up the bolts on the frame with the gear box and install bolts.

A new pitman arm is required for the power steering unit. Install this now. Install pressure and return lines. DO NOT START THE ENGINE UNTIL GEAR BOX IS BLED OF AIR!!!!! Fill the reservoir with fluid, and leave the cap off. Jack the truck in the center so that both front wheels are off the ground. Turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock three times and recheck fluid level. Do not let fluid get too low. Continue turning the steering wheel until all air bubbles are out of the system, usually about 15-20 cycles. Replace the cap and start the engine. Turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock. If there is any noise, stop the engine and repeat bleeding.

This install takes approximately 4 hours. All of the gear box swaps have resulted in a steering wheel being crooked after installation of the new pitman arm. Either have the front realigned or remove the wheel, and reset it. Hope this helps.
scottbaxley is offline   Reply With Quote