The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Were they all blue? (door panels)

For those of you following my door panel delima, I may have had a stroke of good fortune today.

I am jumping ahead, so let me back up. I took my busted @ss door panel to my buddy Mark and gave him the sad puppy look. He is a really nice guy, and felt sorry for my dumb butt, and helped me repair the broken panel.

We (actually he) made a small patch, cleaned and scuffed the area, and used clear silicone to bond everything together. It wasn't perfect, but it would work for the show next weekend.

Today, I got up early and went to the Delmar Swap meet looking for a jack, and new door panels. I just knew there was no way I would find used ones, but some of the aftermarket dealers are usually there. Maybe they would have a set.

About half way through the meet, having looked at 10-15 doors, I see a set of 77 doors. They are easy to spot because 77 was the only year with the baby poop yellow insert in the trim.

I lean them over to look at the back, and can't believe my eyes. They have door panels, (most others didn't), they are in good shape, AND they are Carmine red! WOW! God didn't punish me for going to the swap meet instead of church.

Thank you Lord! I will be there next Sunday, I promise...oh wait, that's Super Chevy Sunday...the Sunday after for sure.

I inspect the panels closely, and find a scratch in one. My heart sank, then I realized I was looking over the top of the door, so it was upside down and backwards. This wasn't the drivers side that was scratched, it was the passenger side. I was still in business.

I asked the guy what he wanted for them? 40 bucks! Well, that is better than paying LMC 179.00 for re-pops, but it was a bit high considering the one was scratched. He said 40 bucks for both "doors". I said all I wanted was the panels. NOPE, 40 bucks take it or leave it. So I walked away.

I came back a couple of times to run off other lookers. After walking the entire meet to make sure there were no more I finally returned to beat the guy down to 30 bucks.

When I pulled the panels off, I discovered a family of fire ants had made a home in the doors, so I got bit up pretty good. When I finally got through down the Texas p!ss ant dance, I noticed the back of the panels were blue. ????

There is no reason to think that these panels have ever been replaced. This is the second set I have found that were once blue, and dyed carmine red. Someone else mentioned seeing the same thing too.

So what's the story? Did GM get a smoking deal on blue door panels? Where the 77 panels produced at the Smurf panel factory? Anyone know what up with this????

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:27 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Sounds to me like the ones you bought were replacements also. I've never seen or heard of stock panels being a different color on the back side and dyed on the front. I might be wrong, but all the stock panels I've ever seen were molded the color all the way through.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 11:28 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Maybe it was a 77 thing. Since my Cheyenne has been restored, I assumed the original panels were bad, and they had been replaced, and dyed. The panels I bought today are exactly the same panel, with the same numbers on the back.

I really "think" these are OEM panels. It would be a strange coincidence that both sets had the same numbers if they were aftermarket.

Does anyone remember if your panels had a series of numbers molded in the back for each color? These have a set of numbers, then the color listed for 6 or 7 colors...

BTW-Riptide's 78p/u the doors weren't in very good shape, so I left them. It was a big swap meet, and I had no desire to lug two truck doors 1/2 a mile to my truck...:p
Old 09-15-2003, 12:03 AM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

The OEM panels I mentioned in your past thread had numbers on the back like you described...they were un-dyed and completely blue. I have no doubt you now have two sets of replacement GM panels.

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:19 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblock73
The OEM panels I mentioned in your past thread had numbers on the back like you described...they were un-dyed and completely blue. I have no doubt you now have two sets of replacement GM panels.

-Jeff
That makes more sense than them being aftermarket panels.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:26 AM   #6
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Ken, the 77 panels I have here are plum crazy purple on the front side and carmine red on the back where somebody painted them---------------------------------------------------------------nah, only trying to make you sick.
yes they all have the part numbers cast into the backside for the different colors. The fanciest ones are 363253 for red ------they even list orange ??? musta been the Z11 pacetruck houndstooth color? :-) , DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:33 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Your trying to be funny aren't you? And I am laughing too

Actually I found out with a half gallon of lacquer thinner, a roll of Job Tough towels, and 1.5 hours of scrubbing, the dye can be removed.

I have one totaly blue panel right now. Tomorrow I will have two blue panels. I ordered a quart of vinyl dye, and a pint of vinyl primer. If everything goes right, my blue panels and my new armrest pads will all match each other again.... :p
Old 09-15-2003, 01:08 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Before...
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2003, 01:09 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

And after...
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2003, 02:16 AM   #10
vycc

that's a thing of beauty...lookin' good man
Old 09-15-2003, 02:41 AM   #11
sameyrasmea72

GM does some funny stuff. I have restored 4 consoles out of 69-80 trucks. When I had them apart you could tell every one or them was originally a blue\gray color from the factory. You would never Know it unless you had it apart and could see where the pieces overlaped or looked under the ridge of the base. I wish I knew what the GM used to paint/dye these parts. That stuff will NOT scratch off.
sameyrasmea72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:44 AM   #12
Mike76251

Speaking of STRANGE colors........
My '81 Z/28 has a tan interior and blue seatbelts (under tan covers). Of course, the covers are worn out and now the blue shows. I went to the GM place a few years back to get new covers and was told that GM didn't sell seatbelt parts.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:42 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by sameyrasmea72
....I wish I knew what the GM used to paint/dye these parts. That stuff will NOT scratch off.
The key to making it work is proper adhesion. That's why I stripped the panel down completely. PPG sells a bonding primer, that preps the surface for the dye. My buddy painted a console for his Burb, and it looked like new after 3-4 years of use.

When we get done, the dye should be "almost" scratch proof...
Old 09-15-2003, 10:52 AM   #14
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

N2TRUX- thats an amazing transformation.. not only did it take the dye off but it transformed it from a passenger side crank window, to a drivers side power!! where can I get some of that

seriously, what did you use?

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:21 AM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mike, you caught me. I forgot to take pics before I started. The before pic is the passanger side. It has a slight scratch in it, so I didn't strip it. The after pic is the drivers side that I stripped.

As far as the manual vs. power difference, thats sorta decieving. It appears that all the replacement panels are cu to work on power or manual. The trim covers the hole up, so you can't tell it has two openings...