The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
vintagetin

Column Shift 3 Speed woes

I've got a '62 C-10 and the 3 speed trans and column shifter are continuously giving me problems. I've have two other column shift manual transmission vehicles before and they were fine and I commuted in them for years ('69 Rambler, '66 Dodge Charger) and shifted fine all the time but this one is putting up a good fight.

My issues are:
Trans pops out of third while cruising above 45 every 5 miles or so
The linkage at the end of the column slips and falls into 1st gear on it's own when I try to shift into neutral.
Sometimes it won't come out of 1st, and I have to jam the level back down into the 1st position to regrab the gear.
Second gear grinds unless I shift up at 22 mph. I can only down shift to second from third when I drop my speed to about 7 mph. I tried double clutching but it doesn't really help, and sometimes it stay in the first gear.
I have the 235 6, and it has ONE motor mount in the front, and two at the bellhousing. The motor mounts are definitely shot. When I make a u-turn and accelerate the shift lever goes all over the place and I can feel the engine come back down. I cannot find the front mount in any of the truck restoration catalogs. They only show the two mount 235 front set up.

I'm wondering if anyone is experienced with replacing the column shift components, and where I can find the parts and the proper motor mounts. I've never had one of these apart before.

Thank you
vintagetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Column Shift 3 Speed woes

I bought a 70 swb a couple of months ago and drove it to the shop, the shifter was so loose that it would hang up and 3rd gear was almost impossible to find. There is an adjustment procedure in the FAQ section of the 67-72 forum. Go there and read it .Try the adjustment it won't cost you antthing it is very simple to do and can be done in just little time. It involves loosening a lock bolt with the truck in neutral and using a small drill bit[1/8] into a keyway then tighten and done. Good luck
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
T Smith

The motor flopping around is probably part of your shifting problems, it's causing binding in the linkage, fix that first and then do the linkage adjustment like hugger suggested and go from there. No idea where to get the mounts but I'm sure someone will chime in with that information shortly.
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
vintagetin

Cool, I did not realize I could adjust it. Thank you.
vintagetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
1963c-10

The motor mounts are still being made.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
austin60c10

Mine used to pop out of third like you described and I had the drive shaft balanced and havent had trouble since, I'm wondering if yours will stop after motor mounts are fixed, if not, has your drive shaft been customized? I had to cut a couple inches off of mine and I think thats why it needed balancing.
austin60c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
maxwoof

I have a 235 with the single front mount. I have not been able to find a replacement mount, although I have seen places that rebuild them. If someone knows where to get them, please share.

I had a 66 with column shift years ago. There are rubber bushings at both ends of the linkage that were not too expensive to replace and definitely try to adjust as suggested above. That can solve a lot of the problems. As to the grinding, make sure the clutch is adjusted and releasing fully as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
maxwoof is offline   Reply With Quote