The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Chris92

69 Chevy SWB Transmission 4L80E with Big Block Fitment Question

I have been searching the forum and can't seem to find a definitive answer on this.

I am building a 1969 Chevy SWB Big Block truck. I am going to have my motor mounted in the forward position using the aftermarket tubular motor mounts. I have a low hump cab. This is a 2WD truck.

Will I be able to fit a 4L80E transmission without many clearance issues?

If not, will a tall hump fix it?

Does a Turbo 400 fit the low hump? If so can I fit a gear vendors overdrive instead?

I want to use the 4L80E but I don't want to cut up too much if any of my cab. I know it can be done if I am not worried about that but I want to leave it as original as I can.

Thanks for taking time to read this....

Chris
Chris92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Flint70step

Re: 69 Chevy SWB Transmission 4L80E with Big Block Fitment Question

Check out my Burb Build at the bottom of my signature.I used a 94 TBI 350/4L80E in my Burb.I had to used 73-8? motor mounts to clear the stock 94 van exhaust manifolds.These mounts lined up with the front most and rear most holes on the top chord of the frame.The 4L80E fits just fine.I used the stock trans cross member,I just moved it back a bit and drilled a hole centered up for the 4L80E trans mount.When I loosely bolted the trans to the cross member,it actually lined up with holes already in the frame!!The closest point the 4L80E came to not fitting is on the seem on the slanted portion of the fire wall/trans hump.There is a 1/2 inch of clearance there,otherwise I had no problems.

A few more things I had to do was take off the shift lever from the 4L80E and flip it over so it points to the front of the truck.Now it work with the stock shift linkage.I did also have to extend the shift rod from the column to the shift lever by about 6 inches(I can't remember exactly how much).I put the trans in park and column in park,then used an extra shift rod to put in the shift lever and made the two meet.Made a mark for the cut and for clocking orientation and then cut and welded them.The install looks like it was made to go in there.Just what I was after.I hope this helps you and answer some questions for ya.Feel free to PM me and I'll help you any way I can. Flint

72 Custom Deluxe Burb(Arizona truck)Nice interior
Great patina

Project Patina Azul http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467668
Flint70step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Chris92

That's great news, I was hoping that it would fit and I wouldn't have to go to plan B. Your burb build is awesome, I just read all of it.

Thanks for the info!

Chris
Chris92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Flint70step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris92 View Post
That's great news, I was hoping that it would fit and I wouldn't have to go to plan B. Your burb build is awesome, I just read all of it.

Thanks for the info!

Chris
No problem Chris,glad to help.Let me know if you have any more questions.Be good

Flint

72 Custom Deluxe Burb(Arizona truck)Nice interior
Great patina

Project Patina Azul http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467668
Flint70step is offline   Reply With Quote