The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
shawn01520
Account Suspended

1971 GMC K5 4x4 Power Steering Box Questions

I have what I assume is the original box in my truck and it's pretty damn sloppy. I would like to replace it or upgrade it. I have been reading a lot of posts on here and would like some advice. Are the rebuilt units any good? Some say no, not worth the money. Can I go with a newer year box and get tighter ratio, less turns lock to lock? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.
shawn01520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Tony@Roadstershop

Re: 1971 GMC K5 4x4 Power Steering Box Questions

ummm actually there is alot of other stuff to look at there as well first... being that it is a straight axle truck it is only going to turn so good anyway... however, it shouldnt be that bad. First things to look for is if the tie rod ends are worn out or the ball joints on your steering arm... a couple of worn joints will make it feel like it is a mile out.
Tony@Roadstershop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
shawn01520
Account Suspended

First off thank you Tony for your response. I guess I should have been more clear. The truck is just getting back on the road after a complete restoration. I did not do most of the work so I assume the PO painted the original steering box and reused it. The joints and ends are all tight and new. I was looking for input on upgrading to a newer year box with less turns lock to lock. What years can I use and are they direct bolt in? Also what kind of experience have people had with rebuilt boxes? I have read that many people say they don't last very long before getting sloppy again. If there are good rebuilt units out there what are they and where can I get one?
shawn01520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I ordered a box from RedHead steering. It was a few years newer and had a few less turns lock to lock. If you go too new with the box, it changed the hose fittings and woou would need different hoses... Also, if the arm is not perfectly centered on the box, it causes a wandering feel when going down the road... I also rebuilt the rag joint...

Check out my build thread, post 8 to see the box....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote