The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
joe1966

Smile Manual or auto?

I wanted to get some opinions about either having a manual or auto tranny? i have a 66 chevy c 10 with sm420 4 speed. and it is very low geared. i was wanted to know what would be better a manual or auto? with a auto i would put a b and m floor shifter or vise vers with the manual. need some opinions for these 2, wish is better manual or auto?
joe1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Manual or auto?

I like to row my own. I put a T5 in mine: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482069

So, you gots to ask yerself - did he shoot 5 rounds or did he shoot 6... well did ya!

Oops, I digress - ya gots to ask yerself - do you want an automatic, or a manual, then go from there.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
rideblue00

If you like shifting, put a car 4 speed in it. That way you will have a better 1st gear. If you want a work truck to haul loads, keep the sm420. If you dont like shifting, put a 700r4 in it. Theres lots of ways to go about this. It depends how you drive the truck and what you use it for. I have a sm420 in my C20 and i dont mind it. I prefer to put a v8 and 5 speed tremec in it but thats for another day. I just want have fun and drive mine once in awhile.
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
jocko

I liked my old muncie also, but it will not fit under a stock bench seat (easily) - nor will any old muscle car 4-speed (sag, bw, muncie, etc) without some wild stick shapes. T5s from S10s have the fwd mounting position for the shifter. As do just about any modern aftermarket T56 or Tremec trans. Note the S10 main case has a longer i/p shaft and will require some mods (like in the build thread, just one way to do it). A Camaro T5 will not require these mods, but the shifter is too far aft and will require an S10 tailshaft, so pick your poison. I got lucky and found an actual S10 T5 that is a WC trans. Only happened for a year or so and you have to mod the speedo output (and make accomodations for the longer i/p shaft still). But the ideal situation is a Camaro WC main case with an S10 tailshaft. No mods required to the i/p shaft and no spacer needed. However, it is a franken-trans at that point, and S10 tailshafts/housings are apparently getting harder to find.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
rcbildr

I prefer manuals, but sometimes there are other factors (like bad joints, or arthritis, or girlfriend with bad joints) that make an automatic nicer/easier to drive.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
jocko

I couldn't agree more rcbildr - I love my 5-speed, but I can predict my next one will be an auto (but hopefully hangin onto this one for a long time - kinda hunting for a 71-2 right now - there, I said it!! Don't hate me, but used to have one in H.S. and miss it - AND it's automatic trans).

Here's why - the one reason you didn't mention as to why an automatic trans is nice: TRAFFIC!!!!! Ugh. I don't care how much anyone likes a manual trans, you gotta admit that they suck in traffic. As does just about anything, but how can I text, change the radio, answer my phone, and hunt for my Dixie Chicks CD while concentrating on shifting, in traffic?!?!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
joe1966

Ok so i am probably gonna end up with a manual. i love manual. i am 16 and love shifting and being able to shift and stuff its great. so manual it is. but i dont need an sm420. i am not making crazy hauling, this truck will be a hot-rod. i meen the 420 is strong as hell but i wanna be able to take off in 1st gear and i would like a wide ratio. 420 is very low geared. may have to put higher gears in my truck, maybe 3.73s, it has 4:11s in it right now and very low. so i need some more info on the muncie for the truck. does the muncie bolt right up to the 350 4 bolt main and is the drive line long enough or is it to long? it is a long bed and has a carrier bearing. so is the shifting linkage the only prob because of the seat? need more info
joe1966 is offline   Reply With Quote