The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
MKBreadfan

Just bought a 1967 SWB (My first project truck!)

Just bought a 1967 Chevy SWB for $2150. Buying a project truck is something that I've wanted to do since I graduated high school, but things never fell together right until now. This purchase was facilitated namely by me graduating college and getting a divorce. But no one really gives a damn about that stuff, so I'll get back to the truck.

I was told it has a 383 stroker, and it does appear to have a 350 block, so I just need to check and make sure the stroke is right. It looks like it has a drop on it, I'm guessing a 2/4. Drums on all four and a leaky master cylinder. Minimal rust on the body. Other than that it runs, drives, is registered and inspected and has a clean title. My end goal is to build up a good, solid street rod that can double as my daily driver.

I just wanted to ask some of the very wise people here for advice before I embark on my project. Anything will help - good resources for parts, pitfalls to avoid that sort of stuff.

Hopefully I will be able to get pics up soon, although it isn't much to look at right now.
MKBreadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
gotchevys?

Re: Just bought a 1967 SWB (My first project truck!)

Welcome aboard. Now lets see those pictures.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Welcome...

Step 1.
* Take some paper and layout your plan, start with what you plan to do with it.
Then list out what parts you want, and what it costs... it adds up quick... and is easier with an end result in mind...

The search feature is great and the classifieds are great...

PS: Everyone is going to ask for pics... to be prepared...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Glorybound13

One of the first things I did when I started working on my 69 CST was to get an original shop manual (after doing as mcmlxix suggested cause that's of great importance - if you fail to plan, you plan to fail right?). You can find them anywhere like Amazon, eBay, wherever for pretty cheap. I think I paid $27 for mine. Even if the truck has been modified, the general info in there gave me a greater understanding of how the trucks operates, what is where, etc. Be sure to check out the used parts section and the vendor marketplace on this site. There are always good deals on there for forum members. Welcome to the board and best of luck with your first project.
Glorybound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Welcome aboard from central Florida!

My first priority would be mechanics, fix the obvious stuff so you can safely drive it around. Then mechanical upgrades like disk brakes, etc. Suspension is next then body and paint.

"This purchase was facilitated namely by me graduating college and getting a divorce. But no one really gives a damn about that stuff"

You might be suprised how much these board members do care about each other including total strangers. Acts of kindness are a regular thing here, quite rare for the internet I think. I personally am proud to be part of this thing. Be polite, honest and respectful and you will recieve the same here.

I also suggest you pony up the $25 so you can buy and sell parts here, by far the best money you will spend on your truck.

Almost forgot......we live for pictures.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote