The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #26
One Chevy Scotty

Re: Q-Jet frustration

Well, after a futile search on CL for a GM HEI, I broke down and got a replacement ignition module....$108 bucks, but she starts....I think that I have most of the carb issues found, but when she is hot, you have to floor it and then hold it down for a few seconds to get her to start....I know that this cannot be good for the engine (lacking oil pressure in the first moment of start up).....what am I missing now?
One Chevy Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #27
dantimdad

Try putting on a phenolic spacer. It sounds to me like you are getting some vapor lock from the engine heat. The spacer will insulate the carb from the intake and stop the vapor lock.

Steven

Matt. 6:27 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=507266&page=2
dantimdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #28
One Chevy Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantimdad View Post
Try putting on a phenolic spacer. It sounds to me like you are getting some vapor lock from the engine heat. The spacer will insulate the carb from the intake and stop the vapor lock.

Steven
There is plenty of gas in the carb....I think that the choke is not opening enough when hot...if you floor it, the butterfly valves open up and she will start right up....it has the thicker cardboard gasket too....maybe I'm missing something somewhere?

The phenolic spacer would cause the choke rod to be too short and we would be back to no choke again...
Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #29
69sixpackbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
Send it to Sean Murphy.
http://www.smicarburetor.com/
s/t
I second that!
He did a stage two for my 402 and I'll never go back to EFI!

I sent him all of my specs along with my slightly used E'brock 1904 and he sent me back a pot of gold!
It ran right out of the box. All I did was set the APT (using the aid of my WBO2 monitor) and all is well.!
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #30
MagmaJct

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Chevy Scotty View Post
Just got in from testing the Mallory parts...the optical ignition module is DOA...and they want $108 for a new one

I guess that I will be hunting up a good used GM HEI unit and ditch the Mallory crap...plus +++ NOBODY has one in stock here in town....sucks to be broke down and no parts
Was it a used part? What company won't replace a unit DOA? I wouldn't do business with them again!

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #31
One Chevy Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmaJct View Post
Was it a used part? What company won't replace a unit DOA? I wouldn't do business with them again!
No refund on electrical parts They assume that you wired it incorrectly I guess....the instructions say that they are fragile and you cannot jump start your truck/car with a big battery charger that has 'start or boost' mode. I have been starting trucks with dead batteries for years with a big Napa battery charger that is made to do just that and never hurt anything before....

well, it runs, but is hard to start when hot...that's the current issue...I have been driving it to work since I got the module in on Tuesday...so far, only hot starting issues....

any ideas guys?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #32
classicgm

what's the carb number?
Posted via Mobile Device
classicgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #33
Indyuke

I had hot starting issues a few months ago because my choke wasn't opening all the way. As soon as I shut off the truck and it cooled down just a few degrees, the choke would be fully closed again. I finally went to home depot, bought a metal rod the same thickness as the manifold mounted choke rod was, and made a longer choke arm.

I actually made several... some for winter when auto choke requirements are different, and some for summer. It only takes about 3 minutes to change one out for a different size.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote