The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
theastronaut

I think I scored...

I've got "64 65 66 Chevy Truck" and "60 66 Chevy Truck" as saved searches with alarms/notifications on my eBay iphone app, because thanks to you guys I'm now helplessly addicted to 64-66 C10's. I just feel the need to constantly be on the search for more and more parts, checking eBay, Craigslist, etc... Anyways...

A 64-65 three lever deluxe heater control panel popped up, NOS in the box, and it happened to be dark brown- correct for '66 only. I've been wanting a deluxe heater set for Goldilocks and already have a heater control panel but it needs new levers and knobs. The one on eBay was $95 bucks, buy it now- I think I got it at a pretty good price? It didn't have cables or the switch but I've got good used ones already. How'd I do on it- is that the normal going price, or high/low? It wasn't too much more than a repair kit so I'm happy with it either way.
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: I think I scored...

Any time you can find something desirable like that, that you really want and can afford I'd say it's a good deal. Had it not been a "Buy it now" item, bidding could have pushed it well beyond that price if two people wanted it just as badly.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I agree with Marks comments.....I would pay that for a NOS item.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
jocko

I saw that item and didn't buy (no particular reason, but I'm not 100% certain how I'll incorp a/c, so held off - I currently have the one knob pull yer knob thingy)

You'll still need a donor (if you don't already have a deluxe controller that you're replacing) for cabling and perhaps knobs. I didn't catch that it was NOS new in the box - if that's the case, then I'd say you got a pretty decent deal. I thought the color was more gold than the 66 - so, I actually may have been looking at a different part than what you just bought, but it was very similar (no knobs or cables, etc).

Anyhoo - generally speaking, I think you made a good purchase too.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
oem4me

Consider what a fair price would be if it were a new part. Close to what you paid? Today, that part would be made overseas from inferior materials and probably would not last long. Sad to say, but we have gotten used to accepting this as the norm. Buy cheaply and replace as often as needed.
Finding a needed 50 year old OEM part new in the box is sometimes worth whatever it takes to get it. It matches EXACTLY and should last a LONG time. If you do your homework and know your part numbers, often enough one can find NOS parts for very reasonable or even bargain prices.
I'd say you scored, as nothing beats NOS for quality.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
theastronaut

Here's the pics that were on ebay. It does have the levers and knobs, and I've got clean original cables and a switch to make it complete. A new repro from LMC with cables is $170.00.

Last edited by theastronaut; 03-23-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: resize pics
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
1963c-10

I say good score
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
64shortbox

I would say a darn good score. I can guarantee that a NOS one will be 3 times the quality of a repopped one and the big plus - you know for a fact it will be a direct bolt in. If I remember correctly Old Air Products makes reproduction control cables for the heater control.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
...... If you do your homework and know your part numbers, often enough one can find NOS parts for very reasonable or even bargain prices.
I'd say you scored, as nothing beats NOS for quality.
So true. I'd rather restore an original part than try to make a low-quality reproduction part fit. NOS is always the better way, if you can afford it, but restore if you can't find NOS. You did well on that controller. It's definitely worth it, especially if you break down the costs to replace levers, placards, and put paint ($$) on your original. It adds up quick.

Like oem4me says, know your part numbers. You'll be amazed at what you can find. Some ebay ads get posted with just part numbers, as the seller doesn't have a clue what application it's for. As a rule of thumb, when they don't know the specific application, the price is usually substantially lower. That's good if you're the buyer.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
jocko

CRAPOLA!! Yeah, that definitely is not the one I mentioned above that I was looking at on ebay. Had I seen that one, we'd be in a bidding war!! Yep, correct 66 color and texture. You did score, big.

What threw me was yoru original comment about needed new knobs - the I looked at had no knobs at all. Yours appear pretty good, why do you need new anything on that?? Anyway, that really is a cool buy - one year only, all original, good deal.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
MisterC

I would have bought that in a heartbeat. Even if you decide to go with a Vintage Air unit, their new Gen IV system uses the factory deluxe heater controls so you're set for an upgrade if you choose to do so. Great score!
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
CRAPOLA!! Yeah, that definitely is not the one I mentioned above that I was looking at on ebay. Had I seen that one, we'd be in a bidding war!! Yep, correct 66 color and texture. You did score, big.

What threw me was yoru original comment about needed new knobs - the I looked at had no knobs at all. Yours appear pretty good, why do you need new anything on that?? Anyway, that really is a cool buy - one year only, all original, good deal.
I wasn't real clear in the original post, sorry bout that. I already had an original control; it's the one that needs knobs and levers. It does have good cables that I can swap over though! I'm glad it wasn't up for bid so there was no bidding war!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
I would have bought that in a heartbeat. Even if you decide to go with a Vintage Air unit, their new Gen IV system uses the factory deluxe heater controls so you're set for an upgrade if you choose to do so. Great score!
That sounds like something I'd be interested in! I've thought that I'd like to eventually ad A/C and that would let me keep the stock control panel. I'm not really into stuff that looks like an add on and doesn't match the original style of the truck. That stuff is ok on a custom, but I'm after more of an original look with upgrades done "underneath" that aren't too noticeable.