The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
munky

Noob here!

Just wanted to say "Hi" to y'all and say I'm a noobie to the forum. I've been perusing the site for months now. Last month I finally got my 68 LWB home:

Not a bad buy for $900!

It runs like a champ (PO put a mild cam and a Edelbrock 650 on the 307) and its my DD for now. It'll be a rolling project. I've already taken the 69 hood off and put the original 68 hood back on. Has some rust issues here and there, but I'm not complaining. Shifting (its a 3 on the tree) is interesting, but I think it just needs to be adjusted.

Future plans: power steering, disc brakes, 3/5 drop (I'd go more but I want to be able to haul stuff in the back), and a matte black paint job.

Does anyone know if the steelies on there will work with disc brakes?

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice I've received and will receive!
munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
IRN BRU

Re: Noob here!

I went with a 3/5 drop and I'm pretty limited on what i can haul, 1/2 yard of top soil was the absolute max. I do have 275/60/15's on the back though so that probably doesn't help. Saying that I love the look and don't care!
IRN BRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
munky

IRN BRU,

thanks for the heads up. I'm mostly concerned with hauling a motorcycle and generator at the same time. I don't think I'll ever need to haul REALLY heavy stuff. But if I start bottoming out I'll put some airbags in the back to help the springs.

Could you post a pic of what your truck looks like with the 3/5?

Most of the pics I've seen don't have anything for reference to the truck. Its just the truck by itself...so its hard to tell how low its actually sitting.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
On the shifter, put the lever in neutral (apply parking brake or block wheels first) and spray some PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil (not WD-40) into the hole that the shift lever goes into on the column. Then pull the lever up toward you and push it back down 4 or 5 times to loosen it up. The lever has to move up and down easily to shift gears. After you have done that spray the tube and levers good at the bottom of the steering column then go in and pull the lever up and down again. See if that makes a difference. A lot of people that are not used to the older 3 speed trannys don't realize that you have to pull the shift lever up toward you for low and reverse and push down when shifting into 2nd and 3rd....

If that doesn't work try this...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307

Then report back...

Oh, and to the board.

Lockdoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Welcome from Central Florida! Air shocks on the rear might solve your future towing problem.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
RCbowtie69

Hey from N.C.Nice truck & it looks like you have something to work with,& welcome to the best truck site they are.Hope to see more pictures soon & keep on truckin'
Old 02-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
dhaymaker

Colorado says to the board! Looks like you made an excellent buy! This board is such a great place with some amazing, helpful people. There's so much experience here you can't hardly find an issue or problem someone can't help you with!

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #8
70cst

Hey munky ...

to your new internet truck family and from Ohio. on purchasing a truck. Keep us updated with any updates in your truck.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
IRN BRU

Hope this helps! 3/5 drop
Attached Images

IRN BRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
munky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
On the shifter, put the lever in neutral (apply parking brake or block wheels first) and spray some PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil (not WD-40) into the hole that the shift lever goes into on the column. Then pull the lever up toward you and push it back down 4 or 5 times to loosen it up. The lever has to move up and down easily to shift gears. After you have done that spray the tube and levers good at the bottom of the steering column then go in and pull the lever up and down again. See if that makes a difference. A lot of people that are not used to the older 3 speed trannys don't realize that you have to pull the shift lever up toward you for low and reverse and push down when shifting into 2nd and 3rd....

If that doesn't work try this...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307

Then report back...

Oh, and to the board.

Lockdoc
Thanks. The lever moves freely, but unless I get the pressure just right, it won't grab the gear to shift. Its most difficult to go from 1st to 2nd and back. Same goes for if I want to downshift out of 3rd, I really have to keep forward pressure so it will grab the gear. Otherwise the shift lever will move all over the place and the truck will stay in whatever gear its in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Welcome from Central Florida! Air shocks on the rear might solve your future towing problem.
Its all according to my budget!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRN BRU View Post
Hope this helps! 3/5 drop
Thanks! That's a lot lower than I thought!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
munky

Here's how she sits now, after several coats of paint and a pair of cut coils

Old 03-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
munky

Still need to convert it over to power steering, do the disc brake conversion (anyone know if those wheels will fit disc brakes?), and lower the rear.

I'm happy with Ol' Dirty
Old 03-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
webfoot

That looks great, nice job.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
50bomb

Good job.
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
big bad orange

Are you sure the shiftier linkage is not loose? I had to help an old guy push his truck out of his yard and the shiftier was so loose it jammed in between gears.

this might help http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=462039