The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
andymarkv

Medium Olive Touch-up paint?

I've got my buddy's 71 longhorn back at the house installing a trailer hitch and I thought maybe I could freshen up the appearance a bit just with basic elbow grease.

I started screwing around by rubbing out some of the front clip by hand with Meguiars ultimate compound. It doesn't look too bad...although I think its more of the "feeder oils" in the compound wetting the paint, rather than any cutting of the surface oxidation.

I also took my DA and "leveled" the fiberglass that was glopped on the doors and box. I'm not trying to make it straight, just better. It is do for a body job...but I have a feeling thats a few years out.

Does anybody make a medium olive aerosol touch up paint that I could just lay on lightly on the fiberglass spots to help blend it in a little? I haven't found anything remotely close.... Although being age faded will probably make it tough.
I was trying to stay away from custom mixed, because I haven't heard much results, and I'd like to keep the costs reasonable.

I actually don't mind the lightly rusted scratches because it matches the work history of the truck. But the hamfisted rust/body repair really ruins it.... Then again, maybe I should leave it alone!! I don't want to be the jackass that squirts touch-up paint on it and makes it look worse!!

andymarkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
LakeAnna

Re: Medium Olive Touch-up paint?

If you want you can go to napa and get a pint of single stage in your paint code. Another option is get a pint of base (base coat/clear coat). Just use the base and it has a dull or satin look like you want maybe... Just an idea.
Nice truck btw.

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I just go to my paint & body supply shop (they sell PPG),give them the code,and they make up a spray can. If I don't have a code or the paint is off from fresh I take a piece of something for them to scan and match that way.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
andymarkv

Thanks guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I just go to my paint & body supply shop (they sell PPG),give them the code,and they make up a spray can. If I don't have a code or the paint is off from fresh I take a piece of something for them to scan and match that way.
Yeah, this is probably the best route. I'll stop into my paint shopt this week and see what they can do for me.

Is the color code the same as the option code listed above in the glovebox option list? Or is is listed somewhere else?

I tried a couple of random paints. They are close, but they're a little too light or too dark and don't make the problem better....just a different color of ugly!

Last edited by andymarkv; 03-17-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Curbstone Mech

Agree with my old buddy Tim, above. If you strike out locally, try Paintscratch.com I've had good luck with them on my trucks and cars over the years.
700r4 351;1 posi
Curbstone Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
bollybib

I've been wanting to touch up a few not-so-small areas on my truck, too. The scan-to-rattle-can approach suggested by Tim is the way I intend to go.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
andymarkv

Thanks guys!! I bought touch up paint from my local paint shop and its fairly close. While I was there....I bought a buffer, cutting creme/pad and glaze/finishing pad.
I think I goofed up when I bought the rotary buffer VS a DA..... I went through the paint a few times....I don't think I would have with the DA.... Although, I hear its takes more effort to get through really nasty crap with a DA, but for a newbie like me (first time buffer) that probably would have been a good thing.
In my defense, the paint is just so damn thin and single stage, it doesn't take long to burn though.
Its interesting that the primer looks to be black on the front clip/doors/box and red on the cab. Which sucks because the black under layer hides much better where the paint is thin and the paint it super thin in a lot of spots on the cab.

Here's a couple of pics.... Its not great, but I think its better than it was.
It is pretty amazing where the paint was thick it looks like new again!!
Like I said, if I had known how nice some of it would turn out, I would have spent more time smoothng out the "spots". But I'm out of time and need it out of the garage. So it is what it is.

These pics are after compound. (I was washing the wheels and tires, have to shine the tires if I'm bothering to doing all this other crap) I have yet to find a light that really does the shine justice in a picture......
Right after these pics I hit the whole thing with glaze/polish. It made a decent difference. I need to wax it and get it sealed up. Then I can get back to what its really here for....wiring up the brake controller and fixing the exhaust manifold leak!!

[/