The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
AirSpeed

87 350 transplant issues?

I have an 87 K5 Blazer that I haven't driven in years, I start it up once in awhile to lube and charge the battery but that's about it. I'm thinking of pulling the drivetrain out and saving it for either my 69 C-10 or my 72 GMC 4X4. Will I have any problems with motor mounts? Is an 87 block different than a pre 73 block? Will an 87 350 bolt up to my 72 TH350?
The Blazer Is fuel injected, will I have to transplant any sensors along with the computer? What about the front and rear axles, could I use them in my 72 without much modification? Thanks for any info or suggestions.
I hate to part out a perfectly good Blazer but it would be nice to have an extra engine. It would cost a lot more to buy another engine or tranny than the $2000 I could get if I sold it and I know these parts are in great condition because I put every mile on them.
Thanks for any info!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: 87 350 transplant issues?

The 87 engine will fit. The flywheels are different. If they are both automatics use the flexplate that is on the engine. Make sure the converter bolt holes will line up. If not you can drill some. You could put the complete electronic system with the harness but you can buy an intake manifold to fit a conventional carb & use the carb & dist from the 72.
I dont know about the axles.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
The 87 engine will fit. The flywheels are different. If they are both automatics use the flexplate that is on the engine. Make sure the converter bolt holes will line up. If not you can drill some. You could put the complete electronic system with the harness but you can buy an intake manifold to fit a conventional carb & use the carb & dist from the 72.
I dont know about the axles.
Thanks for the info!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
mcbassin
Still Learning

You could transplant the whole engine and TBI setup in your 72. It's pretty straight forward and there is a ton of info on this board. THIS is a great thread to reference. There are some super smart guys that monitor that thread and will walk you through the whole deal. We did this swap on my son's truck a few years ago and he still drives it everyday. Good luck.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
You could transplant the whole engine and TBI setup in your 72. It's pretty straight forward and there is a ton of info on this board. THIS is a great thread to reference. There are some super smart guys that monitor that thread and will walk you through the whole deal. We did this swap on my son's truck a few years ago and he still drives it everyday. Good luck.
Thanks for the info and the link, I will head there now. I'm really leaning towards parting it out for future use, heck the seats and console would look pretty nice in my 72. I recently found 70 Blazer body I might buy, I was thinking of putting it on the 87 frame, I would much rather have a pre 73 blazer than an 87.
Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device