The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2003, 12:52 AM   #1
chevychic

Question What's involved in a body lift?

I have a 4" suspension lift on my truck now and have eyed 3" body lifts. I'm finding they aren't very spendy, but am I overlooking unseen costs? I'm sure I might have to extend brake lines but what else will I need to deal with that isn't included in the kits?
I'm currently running 33" tires so I'm sure I would eventually want to go up to 35".

Also what are your opinions on body lifts? good? bad?

This isn't anything I'm in a hurry for, just something I've been thinking about and want to research fully before I decide if it's worth doing.

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:25 AM   #2
Pont
I need another Barley Pop

Hey Chevychic,

Ultimately, it's all going to boil down to what you want to do but since you asked, I'll give you the reasons I don't like a bodylift. 1) I think it looks cheap and cheezy when you can see an extra 3 inches of frame exposed below the body line. 2) When you do a body lift, the bumpers stay in the same location because they are attached to the frame, so you end up with a big gap that is normally not exposed. 3) In addition to a possible brake line extension, you are also moving the radiator core support up so your fan may hit the bottom of your fan shroud. You may have to hack it up to get the fan to clear. Also, you need to watch for things like throttle cable, shifting linkage and steering column problems. 4) I have seen holes pushed through the floor of the cab because the bodylift mounts are not large enough to support a large area of the cab floor at a given corner. With all the weight, plus flexing, and everyday driving with vibrations, it tends to be hard on the floor at those lift points.

In general, I'm not a big fan of them. I think it makes a truck look like it got a cheapo lift kit and someone cut corners on cost just to get another couple inches of height. I have seen some 1 inch and 2 inch body lift with modified bumper mounts that didn't look too bad but I think a 3 inch bodylift is out of the question. Besides, your truck looks awesome just the way it is! If you want a little more height, I would spend the extra couple hundred bucks to buy new front springs and maybe throw a pair of 2 inch blocks under your rear springs.

Just my opinion............. I'm not trying to bash on anyone who's running a bodylift or likes the idea of running one.

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

34 Ford 2 door sedan - Long term project

----------------------------------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:55 AM   #3
chevychic

Thanks for your honest opinion Pont.

I really appreciate it. I'd rather spend the extra money and do it the best way rather than skimp and end up with problems. As it is, the PO didn't think ahead when doing the current lift and failed to do any sort of preventative measures for enforcing the frame. I ended up with a steering box that wanted to jump off my truck at any given second due to a crack in my frame. I know this happens a lot...so much so that anyone THINKING about doing a lift should research and take action to ensure they don't end up with the same problem. Driving 3 times a week from Medford to GP is NOT good in that condition. The frame is fixed now and it's this sort of precautionary stuff that I need to know to make my decision.

Also, that bumper gap thing isn't something I can deal with. It's minor things like that that really get under my skin. If I know it's there, it will bug me to no end. Like right now my rear bumper is slightly crooked due to a bent bracket....I've considered just tearing the thing off so I don't have to notice it until I either get a new bumper, fix the one I have, or do something totally different. So yeah, I couldn't deal with that

I would love to get 6". 8" would be really nice, but with my 5'0" frame, would make it interesting to get in my truck to say the least

You know, I drive through GP all the time and I have yet to see your truck. It looks awesome in pictures. I bet it's just amazing in person.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
Old 09-13-2003, 04:11 AM   #4
jose

Yes at 5'0 it might be a bit to high to jump in . I am with Pont i think 8" lift is way to much unless you plan on rock climbing with your rig . I have 35's on my 68 and i was thinking on switching to 33's . where did the frame crack ?

jose6772@yahoo.com
jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:38 AM   #5
Mudder

Kodiaks are steps that go up and hide when your door is closed. They are electric and work off your door jam switches. Your truck would look really sweet with a 6" and 35's.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 10:09 AM   #6
RooLer
Been there, done that!

Chevychic. I feel I must try to defend those of us who have body lifts. I would have loved to spend the extra $ to get a suspension lift, but it just wasn't in my budget.
I totally agree with Pont about hating to be able to "see through" a truck when a body lift is installed. I have posted pics and a description of what I did to my Yukon to eliminate this. I think it worked great. I hope the link works.
As for the bumpers, my Performance Accessories kit came with brackets for the front bumper and I eliminated the gap on the rear the same way I did with the wheel wells. The only things that needed lengthening were the steering column and the fan shroud, but the kit came with the adapter and bolts for all of this. I don't know what needed to be lengthened with your suspension kit so I don't know how a body lift would affect things.

I have had no noticeable ride difference with the body lift.

The total cost of the body lift was around $150. I am saving up and plan on a 4" suspension lift next (along with wheels and tires) and then the Yuke wil be how I want it.

http://64.246.42.114/vboard/showthre...threadid=62201

350TBI
3" PA body Lift
305x70R16
RooLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
chevychic

Quote:
Originally posted by jose
where did the frame crack ?

The frame not only cracked, a big chunk came out where the front/top bolt for the steering box mounted. There was so much play in my steering that I wasn't getting full turning radius making it hard to get through drive throughs or anything that was a little tight. I could drive down a perfectly straight road and if there were even the slightest dips or cracks in the road, my truck would drift all over the place.
The PO had put a brace over it, but didn't do anything about the hole so it broke and cracked right through the brace in the same spot. I ended up taking it to a shop here that has fixed dozens of frames for these trucks and spent the $$ to get it done right.
The only thing left to do is to install a different brace that reinforces the front corner of the frame and absorb some of the flex. Off-Road designs makes one for a good amount.

Here's a pic of my frame before it was fixed:

I'm not positive, but I've heard that this problem is mainly on the 73 - 87s not too sure about earlier models.

Thats sounds like a really cool mod Mudder. I've heard about them but have never seen them.

- Christopher Robin
Old 09-13-2003, 12:14 PM   #8
jose

chevychic Did the PO weld anything where it cracked ? I have two flat pieces of 1/8 steel that fit behind the frame where the power steering box bolts up . One would install bolt up power steering box and weld the flat steel plate in a few places and that should take care of the problem . I would have never installed a brace in that fashion it didn't take care of the problem . As far as breakage in that area is common on 4x4 . I have had a 71 4x4 and a 75 4x4 crack in the same area . Let me know if i can be of some help .

jose6772@yahoo.com

Last edited by jose; 09-13-2003 at 12:17 PM.
jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:24 PM   #9
Pont

My 67 was also cracked in that area, as was my dads 84 4x4. I doubt that GM frames are weak in general because they always tend to crack in the same location, at the steering box mount. I think most of the problem is GM's design for steering on 4 wheel drives. If you look at where the steering box is mounted, and the short drag link that connects to the steering arm mounted on the left front knuckle, this puts a lot of stress on the frame because it is actually pushing the steering arm to get the tire to rotate, then causing the other tire to turn as well via the long tie-rod that connects the two steering knuckles. I eliminated that stress by running crossover steering. Way better and no more bumpsteer which is common on lifted Chevy's.

I've yet to see your truck in GP as well but always keep an eye out for it. If I ever do see you over this way, I'll be sure to get your attention. As for my truck, it's best viewed from a picture. It actually looks pretty bad in person........

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

Old 09-16-2003, 11:19 PM   #10
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Pont's truck really look's good in person don't let him b.s. you it's awesome..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 12:32 AM   #11
Pont

LOL, thanks Luke, you little liar

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

Old 09-17-2003, 01:49 AM   #12
chevychic

Quote:
Originally posted by jose
chevychic Did the PO weld anything where it cracked ? I have two flat pieces of 1/8 steel that fit behind the frame where the power steering box bolts up . One would install bolt up power steering box and weld the flat steel plate in a few places and that should take care of the problem . I would have never installed a brace in that fashion it didn't take care of the problem . As far as breakage in that area is common on 4x4 . I have had a 71 4x4 and a 75 4x4 crack in the same area . Let me know if i can be of some help .
No they didn't weld anything at all...nor did they grind it down and get rid of the crack. Apparently they just bought a weld kit and slapped it on over the cracked frame. I haven't taken pics of it since it was fixed but I had a reputable shop fix it and spent a bit more money than I could have, but I wanted it done right just for that piece of mind. Everyone I talked to recommended this shop and they seem to have held up to their reputation.

Pont: Well if your truck looks like crap in person, then you must have someone who's pretty good at photoshop. haha I saw those closeup pics of your hidden hitch and from what I could see it's flawless. That hitch is pretty cool too. You helped me decide what to do with the rear on my truck someday
I'm sure you won't have to do much to get my attention. I never miss nice Chevy's...especially if they're lifted. But it doesn't look like I'll be over there nearly as much. The classes I'm taking at RCC that normally would be over on that campus I'm actually taking independantly so I can be done sooner.

- Christopher Robin