The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
don t. - 72gmc

Skip White dizzy - local replacement of cap

Hi All.

On Tuesday, I will have a need for my 70 to be on the road or im gonna have to rent a car. I've got a spark problem. Good blue-white spark from the coil, orange-white to the plugs. Im thinking cap and rotor need to be R&R'ed. I've got this Skip White dizzy..... http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...px?Item=6701-R

I went to Napa, but they were very busy and we quit looking after 5 minutes.
Does anyone know what year/make the cap and rotor? It looks like a Ford cap, but I got no clue besides it aint stock.

Thanks much....don t. ....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Skip White dizzy - local replacement of cap

there are replacement parts for skippy chinese stuff all over china
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
71 super

Might try a post 87 GM cap or a Ford cap. It looks like it was modeled after a mallory or MSD unit and after reading their ad you may only be able to get the right cap through them. Have you looked at summit or Jegs online to see if they have something? I realize time is of the essence but maybe sand paper and a good scrubbing may have to he you by until you can get one.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
terry b

Look's like a real pos. Did you buy it or did it come with the truck? If you clean the cap and rotor good that should buy you some time. If that don't work pull that thing out and buy something you can get part's for on sunday.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Rooster's 67

As stated on thier website, your in a two day zone, monday order should be a wed delivery. :

FROM THE WEB SITE:

FEEL FREE TO GIVE US A CALL AT 423-722-5152 ASK FOR SARA, SABRINA, OR STACIE. SALES AND CUSTOMER SERVICE HOURS OF OPERATION ARE 8AM-8PM MON-FRI & 10AM-3PM SAT EASTERN TIME ZONE.

YOU MAY ALSO CALL FOR TECH SUPPORT IF YOUR UNABLE TO EXPLAIN WHAT YOU NEED IN AN EMAIL. TECH SUPPORT IS USUALLY NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL AROUND 11AM-7PM MON-FRI Eastern Standard Time.

FedEx is our primary shipper. We are unable to ship to APO/FPO addresses. Help us ship your order promptly by including your physical address at checkout. If your order MUST be shipped to a PO BOX, please contact us by phone. Additional charges may apply. Below is a map representing the estimated delivery time to get to you from our location.

FedEx Home Delivery delivers Tuesday - Saturday. If a package leaves here on a Thursday, and you are in a 2 day delivery zone, your package will deliver to you on Saturday. If you are in a 3 day zone, and your package leaves on a Thursday, you will not receive it until Tuesday. Expedited shipping is available upon request for an additional fee. Please contact us for rates.

I did notice that it doesn't say anywhere how to call "Skip White" when you want to ***** about the Chinese distributor that you can get parts for at the parts store on Sunday night at 6:00pm
I Too would replace that distributor with either an GM HEI or a GM points distributor with electronic conversion
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Indyuke

As was said before, a little sandpaper to clean up the contacts should work well. Replace the spark plug wires and spark plugs as well. That should eliminate 99% of all issues between the coil output and the combustion chamber.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
AusTx68

At one point I had a Skip White HEI. It looks real nice coming out of the box. I installed it and it ran fine. Later a friend told me to replace the insides with a HEI rebuild kit from Summit. When I pulled apart the dizzy, I was shocked to see all the cheap electronics. Typically when you open a HEI you see a sealed square module. The SW dizzy had a open face pc board. You could see a few resistors and such. The wiring was also thinner than the replacement. The Summit kit provides a new module and replaces the wiring. I was happy with the results.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
soxplayer

Try looking at a 93 chevy 305 caprice. It has a small base hei with external coil. It just might be the ticket.
soxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote