The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
vintage_car

power steering pump on my v8- leaks bad

There were 2 red plugs on the back of the power steering pump I purchased for my 350 v8. I removed them and put bolts in them with thread sealant. When I fire up the truck it leaks really bad from the lower plug hole and also when I go from lock to lock the high pressure hose leaks out the sides some. This is for a rat rod... 48 chevy with s-10 swap and 350v8.

What do I need to do to fix these leaks. For now I will run without power steering I guess just unhook the belt.
vintage_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: power steering pump on my v8- leaks bad

Did you purge the pump usally in the install instructions?
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
vintage_car

No instructions came with this power steering pump. It was sourced at a swap meet. it does work fine, no whines or anything, just the leaks. Can you explain the 'purge' you are asking of? Would it prevent the leaks I'm having?
vintage_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
1project2many

Originally the bolts / studs in those two holes would bolt tight against the tin reservoir and squeeze it down against two small O rings between the pump and reservoir. If you have a good light and a small pick / screwdriver you may be able to make out the O rings just inside the reservoir. If the bolts you're using are too long they won't squeeze the O rings correctly. If the O rings are missing you'll need to remove the reservoir from the pump and replace them.

There are different types of power steering fittings. Some use inverted flare and some use an O ring. Mixing and matching doesn't work. Also, if the large "nut" the line screws into isn't tight you'll get a leak there. If the fittings are both inverted flare then loosening and tightening the nut several times may cure the issue. Sometimes inverted flare fittings need a little persuasion to work together.

This video (ignore the Ferd in the title) should give you a good idea how the pump is built and where to check to make sure it seals up tight.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
mr48chev

Didn't I just write out a full set of instructions with photos for you for that on the HAMB yesterday? Your post is word for word what what was written there.

It will take you about fifteen minutes to take the pump off. less time than watching the video above to take it apart and see if the O rings need to be replaced and a few minutes to put it back together.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote