The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #26
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Re: $3K for an 87 R10? Seem reasonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
That 87 has fuel injection going for it - so that is a big plus, IMO. Assuming all of the fuel injection/electronics are OK (I would have a pro check that out) then I say offer $2500 cash in hand and see what happens. If the seller is firm at $3K then I say buy it. Truly rust free fuel injected trucks are very rare, even in the desert southwest (a lot of trucks came from the rust belt). Any truck that runs and is rust free and not beat to poop is worth $3K out here
Regarding the interior, you can live with that for a long time, then fix up as you go along cheaply. Late model GM truck seats can be had for $250 or so. Headliners can be done locally for $50. Order your own carpeting for another $250.
As I am sure you are aware, these old squares are like any old vehicle - expect to dump a bunch of dough into them if you want a reliable and decent looking ride. The best approach, IMO, is to get a truck that is reliable enough to start every time you turn the key, and not worry to much about the appearance of the truck.
You will hear a lot of guys say: "Bought that truck 15 years ago for $500 and never put a penny in it - doesn't owe me a thing." In my experience, these guys are either drunk, liars, or extremely lucky. Every old vehicle I have owned needed lots of repairs - maybe I am just unlucky
Oh, and that pull to the right, likely suspension work will be needed - I am guessing lower control arm/ball joint - you should be able to see that when it is up on a hoist - see if you can take it to a local brake/tune up/Gooodyear store, etc., for a free safety check up. But like I said, expect to put $$$ in this truck- still - I say go for it - we need more guys here to complain about their pesky truck problems.
True words have never been spoken.

Quote:
You will hear a lot of guys say: "Bought that truck 15 years ago for $500 and never put a penny in it - doesn't owe me a thing."
if i heard that its time to turn around and look for another, fluid, filters, belts, plugs, wires, tires, steering and suspension parts all is wear items and WILL fail and have to be replaced.

i rather have a rusted out peice of garbage that has been cared for with new service parts than a one owner with 13t miles and running on orignal tires and plugs from '73

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #27
76Charlie

Look on the inside, the roof of the cab, look at corners of the wheel wells, look at the floor on the inside of the truck if possible, also check bed corners, any where on the body that isn't visible because it has a lip that goes under the truck, that gathers moisture.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
UATahoe

Thanks again for all of the feedbacl guys.
UATahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #29
grs

My son bought me an 87 R-10. No rust holes in the body. Only minor surface rust underneath. It was from Az. I live in Joliet, IL. He paid $5,500 for the truck. It was worth every dollar. These trucks in Joliet are rust buckets. I would say it should be worth $3,000. But it will need a lot of work. Mine was already lowered when he bought it. I had to have it painted, the interior done, PS box., rear glass, EGR valve, wiper motor, Radio and speakers, Intake gasket, and a few other things. Prepare to spend money. Let us know if you buy it.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #30
UATahoe

Thanks for all of the input guys. This is awesome! This is definitely something that i would be taking on expecting to put money into it. This is going to be something i work on with my father to restore and at the end of the day, thats why i want the truck. My dad had an 87 and i always loved that truck. Dont know why, but i did. He has kicked himself everyday for getting rid of it. This is going to be our project and restoration. Honestly, i am looking forward to every bit of it. Thanks again guys, and we are off in the morning to pick up the truck!
UATahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #31
rwhit57

Quote:
Originally Posted by UATahoe View Post
Thanks for all of the input guys. This is awesome! This is definitely something that i would be taking on expecting to put money into it. This is going to be something i work on with my father to restore and at the end of the day, thats why i want the truck. My dad had an 87 and i always loved that truck. Dont know why, but i did. He has kicked himself everyday for getting rid of it. This is going to be our project and restoration. Honestly, i am looking forward to every bit of it. Thanks again guys, and we are off in the morning to pick up the truck!
Great! Post some more pics of it.
Price of truck --------------$3000
Fuel to go get it ------------$100
Advise from forum guys --------$0
Working on truck with Dad---PRICELESS
Old 04-08-2012, 01:42 AM   #32
Tx79chevy

I think that is a fair price. I bought my 79 for 3500. Everything else even close to 3500 was pure crap.
Tx79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote