The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
'79squared

Re: Picked up my first truck: '84 Silverado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinginrods View Post
the ford floormat is causing you problems.remove it and the demons will be set free
That's got me LMAO and soooo true. Ditch the mat and she will be a new truck. But nice score. Looks pretty clean. I know here in WA state I looked for a couple months before finding one that wasnt a rust bucket. Just brought mine home yesterday.
'79squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #27
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrblanke View Post
Broey, I agree with you. Ill check the fuse box first, and if fuses are blown, ill look into why they are blown and then replace them.

I didn't think about this, but you might be on to something. I noticed a ground strap just 'chillin' over on the drivers side. It is not connected to anything (on either end). I am not around my truck this weekend to investigate further, but you can see it in a previous picture I took:

I feel like this is a dumb question, but where is the engine grounded? To find where the engine is grounded should I just look on a wiring diagram?The negative battery cable is connected to the frame, is that it?

Negative battery should be connected to the frame as well as the engine block.

You should also make sure the body has adequate grounds between it and the frame as well, don't just rely on the bolts to do this. Do at least one for the cab, one for the rad support, one for the fenders and a separate for the box. Might be overkill but it might help solve some wiring gremlins.

Might be a good time to check all of the grounds that you can easily access to make sure a ground wire hasn't broken off somewhere along the line.

That loose strap might be a ground for the under hood light if you have one.

If you don't and it isn't connected to anything, remove it and use it somewhere else.

Nice truck too btw!

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #28
jrblanke

Thanks Gordon,
I looked the truck over and found several ground straps. ALL of them need to be cleaned.

Right now my focus is to get the truck inspected and legal so it wont be towed from my apartment complex, then I am going to use some purple power to clean all the nastyness off the engine. From there I will remove all the ground straps I can find and clean them.
jrblanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #29
KIILew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junqueboi View Post
Keith..if you are still reading this post, do you know what years those early style caps are correct for? I wonder if the '74 Spirit of America Impalas used this style cap? Just wondering.
Nice truck...and follow-up responses, too.

We own a 1974 GMC C1500 Sierra with original rally wheels. Its caps are indeed almost identical to those shown here. However, the 1974 caps have a darker finish on the flanged area around the lug nuts. Actually, I think the 1975 caps continued with the darker finish. Then, for the 1976 and 1977 model years, the lighter finish (as seen on JR's truck) was used, prior to the 1978 introduction of the "scalloped" covers referenced by Keith.

JR, it appears you do have the correct "later" trim rings, however. The 1974/75 rallys had a shallow ring with a squared off shoulder (as did the narrower rally wheel used on some G-vans).

As an aside, one of my pet peeves is when folks claim that rally wheels were factory installed on that the 1967-72 generation of Chev/GMC truck. They are a VERY common owner-added feature to scads of pre-73 trucks, but I believe the first model year of factory option availability and installation was 1974.

Ken Lewis
KIILew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #30
jrblanke

Thank you for the response Ken! It sounds like the caps on my trucj have an interesting origin. I will probably take them off and replace them with some correct ones, especially since I only have 3. What color is the center of the cap suposed to be? It look like it is really faded. It may have been black at one time?

James
jrblanke is offline   Reply With Quote