The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Bones69

67 C20 no electrical power - help!

I picked up a 1967 C20 a few months ago with 68700 original miles one owner. I am proud to be the second owner of this old work horse! It has been used but always in a shed and has zero rust! I replaced the points distributor with an HEI about a month ago. Ran great till the other morning. I turned the key and turned the engine over a half revolution and I stopped because I had forgotten to turn the choke on. When I went to turn the key again there was no power to anything. I am assuming it has something to do with the voltage regulator but I am not sure. I did a little trouble shooting but I am not sure what it is yet. That is why I am checking with you guys. What do you guys think it is? I will have to post some pics of the old green bean soon.....
Bones69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: 67 C20 no electrical power - help!

i'd check the battery cables first for good clean tight connections// just lookin at them doesn't help

also are you in park or neutral?
when installing the HEI did you run a new supply wire for proper operation of the HEI
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Bones69

Yep, I tried that right away and they were good. I put a new battery and cable ends on it right when I got it. I checked power to the starter post and I have power to that point. I do not have power to things like the dome light and horn, etc. Could it be the regulator and what would have caused issues with that?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
old Chevy guy

No I dont think the regulater would do that. If I remember corectly the + cable goes directly to the starter but there is a red wire that powers everthing else in the harness. its like a 10 gage or maybe even an 8. before it gets to the fuse panel it goes to a terminal block on the fender I think and also If I remember right it also goes through the horn relay before the fuse block also.try tracing those wires looking for breaks and bad connections.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

if your have a true 1967 truck they used that horn relay it run the hole truck all the power gose throw that one relay to fire the truck On my 1964--66 chevy trucks when i get no power i change or unplug and replug the Horn relay back in.I have a 1967 3 door suburban not sure if they carried the same design over to the 1967-68 modals but i would check there first before i go tearing apart the truck here is a picture of what i'm talking about NUMBER 1 is too my 1965 and number 4 is to my 1965 chevy truck
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Bones69

Ok, I will take a look at the wires and horn relay. I hope that is where the problem is at. I will keep you guys posted on what I find. Thanks for the help!