The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
oem4me

fully restored C-10 on Ebay - not mine

Pretty sweet little number if you ask me. Costly yes, but not near what it cost to do. Less than 1 hour to go, sorry.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...NA:MOTORS:1123
Attached Images

oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
rideblue00

Re: fully restored C-10 on Ebay - not mine

I seen that one. Very nice. Not to far from me. Little pricey.
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
MisterC

Since you're our resident expert, OEM. How would you rate this resto on a 1-10 scale? Understanding that you only have limited pictures to base your rating on.
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
LT1 Burb

Nice truck, makes me wonder what a BBW AC PW PS PB truck would bring in similar condition. I don't know if you could build one for 21k in this shape but I don't think I would have restored a plain janer like this myself.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
oem4me

Just from pics I'd say 9 to 10. Seller stated $45 K invested the first time around and I believe it. Sold for $21K - that's a pretty good deal if you were looking for a turn-key truck. I personally think the 6cyl/3spd plain-janes have an appeal of thier own. Not all trucks need a V8, big window, and A/C.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
andyspinstriping

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Just from pics I'd say 9 to 10. Seller stated $45 K invested the first time around and I believe it. Sold for $21K - that's a pretty good deal if you were looking for a turn-key truck. I personally think the 6cyl/3spd plain-janes have an appeal of thier own. Not all trucks need a V8, big window, and A/C.
I couldn't agree more...I know that a short bed, fleetside, big window is the cool thing to have on this site but I actually like the long beds and small windows and inline six's etc...
andyspinstriping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
198plus

Quote:
Very well said !!!!!!!!
198plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
LT1 Burb

Quote:
No, I agree but if I had both trucks I know which one I would restore, just like if I had a big block 4 speed chevelle and a 2 door post with a 6 cylinder in it, would be a no brainer.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
No, I agree but if I had both trucks I know which one I would restore, just like if I had a big block 4 speed chevelle and a 2 door post with a 6 cylinder in it, would be a no brainer.
Yep, I love those 2 door posts.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Yep, I love those 2 door posts.
I am looking for a barn find like yours though and I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
theastronaut

Quote:

Couldn't have been better said! I've got a '66 deluxe, bbw, short/fleet and understand the appeal of those, but the base level, low option trucks are very neat in their own sense. This truck is very similar to the '65 I restored, and I loved everything about that truck. I too would give it a 9/10 rating, since they didn't re-gap the panels (though it's more "correct" as it is, I can't stand not doing it on a full-tilt resto like this), and the seat cover doesn't have the heat-sealed/embossed pattern in it that the base level seats had. I know '65s had the pattern in the vinyl seat, maybe '66 didn't? Underneath is very tidy, and the engine compartment looks very well detailed and correct, down to the GM heater hoses and tower radiator hose clamps. They got the sheen and color right on the fawn interior paint as well. The dash isn't exactly the brown color it should be, but they tried atleast- that's often overlooked on a '66. I can't tell if they have the correct overspray pattern on the bellhousing, but that's to the point of nit-picking; this is a gorgeous truck and one I'd be very proud to own.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
padresag

here is a 66 GMC that sold at BJ
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=463&pop=0
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
A.T. RockDriller

Thanks for posting that BJ '66 step Ron.

What's your take on these comments:

Details: This is a very rare 1966 Stepside as it has a 305cid V6 engine that was used in GMC medium duty trucks. It also has optional power steering. Very rare also because it has 4-wheel drive. Very few 1/2 ton trucks were built with the 305cid V6 (one year only 1966). This is a very complete and detailed restoration.
Am I missing something..?
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
A.T. RockDriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. RockDriller View Post
Thanks for posting that BJ '66 step Ron.

What's your take on these comments:

Details: This is a very rare 1966 Stepside as it has a 305cid V6 engine that was used in GMC medium duty trucks. It also has optional power steering. Very rare also because it has 4-wheel drive. Very few 1/2 ton trucks were built with the 305cid V6 (one year only 1966). This is a very complete and detailed restoration.
Am I missing something..?
I feel that the word "rare" is well overused. a figment of most minds to extract a few m.ore dollars. if they did some true research that would more than likely blow their statement all to hell.There are a lot of people that don't know that the V6 even existed
p/s on 4 x 4s is a question though. was it optional from 60? if not when, what year?. any that I know off, have all had it added. I am going to check from a reliable source.
it would be interesting though to find out the statistics on I6 vs V6 in GMC
4 x 4 s. they both have that bottom end pulling factor. the only benefit that I see with the I6 is that it would have about 200 lbs less over the frt axle
ron
Old 04-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Couldn't have been better said! I've got a '66 deluxe, bbw, short/fleet and understand the appeal of those, but the base level, low option trucks are very neat in their own sense. This truck is very similar to the '65 I restored, and I loved everything about that truck. I too would give it a 9/10 rating, since they didn't re-gap the panels (though it's more "correct" as it is, I can't stand not doing it on a full-tilt resto like this), and the seat cover doesn't have the heat-sealed/embossed pattern in it that the base level seats had. I know '65s had the pattern in the vinyl seat, maybe '66 didn't? Underneath is very tidy, and the engine compartment looks very well detailed and correct, down to the GM heater hoses and tower radiator hose clamps. They got the sheen and color right on the fawn interior paint as well. The dash isn't exactly the brown color it should be, but they tried atleast- that's often overlooked on a '66. I can't tell if they have the correct overspray pattern on the bellhousing, but that's to the point of nit-picking; this is a gorgeous truck and one I'd be very proud to own.

66 had the embossing but 65 did not.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
theastronaut

Quote:
66 had the embossing but 65 did not.
I know that the deluxe seats in '66 had the white stripe embossed/heat sealed on, and had some other heat-embossed stripes that '65 didn't have. What about the standard seats though? The '65 I restored came with the standard seat, and had the build sheet still under it so I know it was the original seat. It had a vinyl cover that had a pattern embossed into it. Did the '66 standard seats also have an embossed pattern on the vinyle covers?

Here's a clipping from the '65s original seat cover.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Did the '66 standard seats also have an embossed pattern on the vinyle covers?
The pattern for a standard '66 consists of simple straight lines and pebbly grain. You can kind of see it below.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
I feel that the word "rare" is well overused. a figment of most minds to extract a few m.ore dollars. if they did some true research that would more than likely blow their statement all to hell.There are a lot of people that don't know that the V6 even existed
p/s on 4 x 4s is a question though. was it optional from 60? if not when, what year?. any that I know off, have all had it added. I am going to check from a reliable source.
4 x 4 s. they both have that bottom end pulling factor. the only benefit that I see with the I6 is that it would have about 200 lbs less over the frt axle
ron
answering my own question here on the p/s on 60-66 4 x 4 s.

"Ron, this is Lewis. I just checked my popular parts catalor X164003, printed May, 1964 and found no power steering offered for any K-series truck 1000-2500. I also checked parts manual X166001 printer Oct. 1967, with the same results. It seems like the J-series (1962) was the first year power steering was offered on a GMC, from what X164003 has to say. It is possible that a dealer installed unit could have been put on K-series trucks, but as you know, the cylinder and brackets would have to be entirely different than for a 2WD truck. As far as engine preference, the only engine with comparable torque to the 305 would have been the CHEV. 292, and that wasn't available in the 1000 series trucks. In the US, a Chev. engine wasn't available in any GMC until 1964, as you are aware of, Ron. I hope that this will shed some light on the questions you asked. As a side note, one can install a '69-later intrigal p/s gear sector with the approiate spacer plate to shim the gear away from the frame."

ron
Old 04-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
theastronaut

Quote:
Nice truck, makes me wonder what a BBW AC PW PS PB truck would bring in similar condition. I don't know if you could build one for 21k in this shape but I don't think I would have restored a plain janer like this myself.
There was a '66 short/fleet, BBW that sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale '12 for $32,450 (includes buyer's commission) that wasn't detailed nearly as nice as the blue ebay truck. There were more detailed pics of the Gold '66 when it was for sale on Ebay and the underside had no detailing at all- everything blacked out, and poorly cleaned/prepped before painting.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=443&pop=0

Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
A.T. RockDriller

Quote:
ron
No kiddin on the frt axle weight...
But I gotta add, the Big Vee's ...when they are in their element, stand pretty tall as a true big block.
I've owned a couple 292's over the years...and I loved them...but these BBV6's just kick a$$.
I put a Q-Jet on my 351E a while back....and that coupled with twice pipes and an HEI make that thing go like a scalded cat...even at 7K lbs.

BTW...I sure had manual steering on my K1000 when I got it...and come to think of it....can't say I've ever seen the OE p-steering on a K series GMC of this vintage....though it probably existed.
I'm gonna throw it up on Jollys site and hear what those folks have to say on it.
Pete Chronis...GMC guru from NorCal will have the story....I'll paste his comments when I get 'em.
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #21
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:

Power windows were an option ?
Posted via Mobile Device

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #22
A.T. RockDriller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
Power windows were an option ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yer killin me....Chief.
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
padresag

Quote:
BTW...I sure had manual steering on my K1000 when I got it...and come to think of it....can't say I've ever seen the OE p-steering on a K series GMC of this vintage....though it probably existed.
I'm gonna throw it up on Jollys site and hear what those folks have to say on it.
Pete Chronis...GMC guru from NorCal will have the story....I'll paste his comments when I get 'em.
my quote above came from Lewis Matkin who very knowledgeable on gmc things of this vintage. he is not as out spoken as PC and has been around these trucks about 40 years more than him. as Lewis stated p/s was never a factory option and could have been added ad a dealer installation with fabrication. I would trust Lewis as being accurate.
ron
Old 04-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #24
A.T. RockDriller

Quote:
my quote above came from Lewis Matkin who very knowledgeable on gmc things of this vintage. he is not as out spoken as PC and has been around these trucks about 40 years more than him
ron
Rodger on L.E.Matkin knowin his $hit.....He's definately a wealth of knowledge.
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
Old 04-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #25
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Yer killin me....Chief.

Posted via Mobile Device

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS: