The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
UATahoe

Installing new carpet, need advice

First off, this forum has been awesome! It has provided a ton of information for me and my father as we have just recently started restoring an 87 R10. I have posted a few questions so far and have received a ton of advice and information.

Now for the task at hand. We just finished pulling up the carpet and are planning to put down the new carpet kit ourselves. When we pulled up the original carpet, the carpet pad portion in the drivers and passengers floor pan stayed glued to the floor. The black backing on top of that also remained. So the actual carpet was all that came out. All of the padding and black backing is adhered really well to the truck. Should i go through the effort of removing this, or should i just leave it in and install the new carpet on top of it? Also, i am guessing that if i leave it then i will not need to order carpet with the mass backing? Would ordering it with the mass backing just add another layer of sound proofing and still install nicely? Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to try and get pictures up tonight of our progress.
UATahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
UATahoe

Re: Installing new carpet, need advice

Sounds like i really do need advice. After talking with some of the carpet suppliers, it sounds like my situation may be unique? They told me that it sounds like the padding was installed upside down. Normally the padding is attached to the carpet and then the backing. This would make the mass backing, or rubber part, as the layer that lays down on the floor pan.

Curious to know what others have found when removing there carpet. Did you have a carpet pad type material glued to the floor with rubber coating on top?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
hartbraker

the padding should not be glued to the floor at all. if you are going through the time to restore the truck correctly, while you would be the only one that would know the padding wasn't "correct", I would recommend that you take a heat gun or blow dryer and a scraper and peel up the existing padding and install it correctly... just my $0.02
Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
esbstuff

Picture(s)?
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
UATahoe

I can get pictures tonight. I will post them this evening. Really thrown for a loop with this one.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
riz

I'd pull it all up and redo it correctly. It will be worth the time to pull the old stuff off. Good luck.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
UATahoe

Actually talked with George from Varkmotors and he said what i described was ok and normal. The padding was an extra sound barrier with the tacky black rubber layer then added on top. He said the carpet would be fine installed directly over. Seemed to really know what he was talking about and was a really nice guy.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
UATahoe

Here is a picture of the floor. Threw in one of the interior overhaul in progress as well. LOL
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
esbstuff

That is factory sound deading and instulation. I would not disturb if you don't need to... If you lived in a northern state I might peel up the corners on the bottom of the floor boards and check for surface rust, but since you are in AL, I would leave it there, untouched. Just put your new carpet/rubbermat down and run with it!

BTW, to save you hassels later, MAKE SURE you recoat ALL the bolts you remove with anti seize. The factory anti seize is that blue stuff on the bolts that is coming off on flakes. In fact if you have never messed with an older truck before, just go buy a big bottle and use it liberally on all bolts you remove. It will save you big headaches down the road.

Last edited by esbstuff; 04-10-2012 at 09:39 PM.
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
UATahoe

Thanks for the quick feedback. That is going to be my plan going forward. Do you think i should order carpet with or without the mass backing?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
6772fan

Agree with esbstuff. Leave it alone. Your new carpet should make up just fine on top of it. I don't think I've ever seen new carpet without the jute backing on it. Check with a few vendors who sell carpet and see if it's even available.

1979 Chevy SWB- (Second owner- Father in Law was first)

1979 Chevy Silverado SWB-Red/Red
6772fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
UATahoe

Yeah, the jute backing is always there i think. The mass backing is the extra layer of rubber that some offer for added sound dampening.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #13
bilfman

I agree, just leave the stuff on, it looks to be in good shape. But if you have a rusty floor now is the time to take stuff off and fix it. Otherwise it will be fine going right over it with the new carpet

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
riz

Yup. it's not carpet backing. Don't pull it up. Lay the carpet over it with no issues.

Pics sure help, huh?

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
UATahoe

Definitely. Was hoping to get them up sooner but we have been kind of busy working on the truck. LOL. I think i will go ahead and get the mass backing on the carpet as well. I think that extra layer will do nothing but help. Thanks again guys!