The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #26
Firebirdjones

Re: ls a/c manifold options

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
firebirdjones, is that new style poa with the hi-lo switch ? And does this switch go inline to the compressor? I have a 1992 caprice compressor. Will this work? Classic air wants $180 TO RECALIBRATE MY POA TO 134 OR i CAN GET ONE LIKE YOURS FOR $119 ON EBAY.
Yes it is. I could have recalibrated my original but it doesn't have the high/low switch (it's designed to run the compressor all the time) Not a good idea on these new Sanden compressors, which is the compressor you have to use with the high mount kit for the LS swap. So it was the $119 POA conversion for me.

Like I mentioned though, If I had more room, and more money, I would have went with the accumulator/orifice tube setup like in my 79 pictured above. It works better. Even still, the POA conversion switch still gets the job done for us, it's comfortable in the summer and that's all I really wanted.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #27
chebyshortbox65

Not to bad to work on I liked the look of oem so I try to use as much factory parts as I can
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs72z View Post
Yea that's the fittings i tried to get. They aren't selling retail anymore and will not buy more fittings without someone buing 100 at a time.
Have you tried your local AC shop?

The AC shop in town that I used to make my new lines has a slew of fittings to fit just about every angle and situation you can imagine. They weld fittings together, crimp, bend etc...right on the spot. Only took them about an hour.

I'm willing to bet they have compressor fittings that would work, and then they would custom make the lines and run them any way you wish....and it would make for a much cleaner appearance too. The lines would be shorter and out of the way.

Those fittings that Desert has pictured are facing forward, although I'm sure would work, but your hoses now are running right over the belt (belt failure could get expensive,,ouch) not only that but the hoses have to make a complete 180 degree turn back to the firewall.
Personally I'd rather see the fittings come up and follow the inner fender (aka custom made) from a capable AC shop.

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-11-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #29
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebyshortbox65 View Post
Not to bad to work on I liked the look of oem so I try to use as much factory parts as I can
Posted via Mobile Device
I like OEM too, but I would have had to hack my frame to make it work on my 72,,,and my engine cross member was also in the way. High mount made it very simple and easier to run the hoses too.

I would have preferred the seperate AC belt though (like GM designed it) rather than the 1 very long serpentine belt that I have now to work with the high mount kit.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #30
chebyshortbox65

Same motor and set up in my 65 c10 actually it fit better I dident have to touch the compressor bracket just had to grind a slight amount from the top frame rail now the 53 gmc 5 window I'm not going to be so lucky since I'm running a camaro clip wish I would have took the time and built a mustang 2 crossmember
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #31
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebyshortbox65 View Post
Same motor and set up in my 65 c10 actually it fit better I dident have to touch the compressor bracket just had to grind a slight amount from the top frame rail now the 53 gmc 5 window I'm not going to be so lucky since I'm running a camaro clip wish I would have took the time and built a mustang 2 crossmember
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd guess your 65 has more room than this??

My 4x4 cross member was also in the way, the compressor wouldn't mount on the factory aluminum brackets. My tranny lines conveniently run through there,, I've got alot going on down there and didn't want to deal with it...

Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #32
rs72z

I will check with the local shop, only problem is they aren't very easy to work with. I think the only way to use the stock compressor without cutting the frame is to have the lines come out toward the front. The manifold and motor mounts are in the way to go out the back and they can't come straight up because of the frame.
it might be easier to go with the high mount kit, but i really wanted to stay with all the orignal ls stuff.

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491551
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #33
chebyshortbox65

10-4 yea there's a lot more room on a 2 wheel drive lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #34
rs72z

Well i decide to take a look in our bone yard and see what i could find. What i found was a 90 chevy truck with a 350 that uses the r-4 compressor. It's pretty much the same setup as the 4.3 v-6 bracket.
I just cut the bottom off the bracket where the smog pump would mount and then mounted it to the head and made a couple of braces by cutting and bending the original braces off of the 90 model. I will be able to use the hoses off of the 90 i will just need to have a new hose made from the compressor to the condesor.
Cheap and all GM so i can get parts at any chain store.
I will take some pics next week.

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491551
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote