The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Cw72gmc
~Craig~

Swapping a quadrejet for the same model quadrajet, snag, please help!

While I was at a pick and pull here in Utah today, a 71 Gmc was dropped that had been rear ended pretty bad. The original qjet was on it and is in pretty good shape. I hurried to it and pulled the carb. It is Identical to my carb but there are a few things I need advice on

Brake Booster: I think I'm ok on this, I have power brakes, the carb I bought has a plug in the back, take the plug out and use my adapter to tie in the brake booster, Right?

On my carb there is a nipple on the driver side above the idle mixture screw that a vacuum line runs to the distributor, on the carb I bought the nipple is missing. Can I gently take the one out of my old carb and pop it in? I also have a vacuum line coming off the passenger side that has always just went to a plug in the air filter housing, could I use that one for my distributor ?

My secondary linkage broke while moving it from carb to carb, I plan on bending one from piano wire to get by, Is there any trick for removing the choke linkage for the divorced choke?

Anything else I should know when swapping?

I have the new carb on, and have fired it up with just the vacuum to it and I can tell it is well tuned, my truck is a 350 4spd manual, does anyone have a vacuum diagram? Thank you all so much!! Happy Trucking!!!
Cw72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Swapping a quadrejet for the same model quadrajet, snag, please help!

Brake booster line hookup can be to the carb or to a manifold tree behind the carb.
Post a pic of your new and old carb so we can figure out the rest of your Q's.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
MrSchaeferPants

Re: Swapping a quadrejet for the same model quadrajet, snag, please help!

Ya w/o knowing which Q-jet we'd just be guessing. Geezer's right on about the brake booster, the port on the back, or the one in the back of the intake mannifold.

Your front left or driver's side port sounds like a mannifold vacuum source, where it's a 71 I'm assuming your dist runs on mannifold vacuum. You can switch the tubes if they're the same diameter, plugs if they're the same size.

About switching your lines around, if the line on the passenger side you speak of is ABOVE the throttle opening (or towards the TOP of the carb) then no, that's a ported manifold source, whereas your original carb sounds like your engine/distributor uses a manifold vacuum source (towards the BOTTOM of the carb)

And I'm going off of what I know about 4M Q-jets. No idea which one came on a 71

Last edited by MrSchaeferPants; 04-15-2012 at 11:39 AM.
MrSchaeferPants is offline   Reply With Quote