The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
fatgump

Numbers look high

My software dyno numbers look high.
383 10:1
Dart iron eagle 64cc, 200 cc runner
KB 12 cc dish hyper
Edelbrock rpm air gap intake
Lunati bmII 2k-6k rpm, lobe 109, .512int/.512ext. with 1.6 rockers
1.6 comp cam full rollers
Hughes 3k stall
12 bolt w/ 4:10
TH400
Attached Images

fatgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Re: Numbers look high

afterall its just a program. Data data data and more data. Is needed to get them to be accurate. And understand that flow numbers are just that flow, you will see where engines make more power than thought with heads that did not have huge flow numbers. and then again you get engines that make more power than thought. Until all of this info in put into a program you are working with a rather large ball park.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

and programs are garbage in garbage out,,, not implying anything but if you made guesses at widage and flow numbers from the Dart 'advertisments' as gospel and not measured at .2, .3, .4, .5, .6, and anything iver that is a useless number with that cam...and power it claims over 6500-6800 is useless. Lunati tells you the cam is all done at 6000,, I'm telling you 99% of the 600HP small blocks ar ALL DONE by 6800,, add 'intrpertations / assumptions' for compression, narrow rod bearings, small skirt pistons,light weight valves, valve / lifter toss rpm,,, your going to get exagrated reports.

Just a fyi,, 383 with JE light weight forged flat top race pistons, 6" eagle rods. Cola crank, internal balanced. AFR 210's with a buttload of cnc work (a $3000 set of heads) angle milled to a 54cc chamber to net 12.2:1 compression, Lunati solid roller (264/272 @ 0.050, .625 lift) 1-7/8" Supercomps, Prosystems custom780cfm Dominator, on a Supervictor 4500 flange, , made 582HP at 6700rpm on a SuperFlo dyno.

Just a FYI,, with the 12cc dish, the 64cc chamber IF you zero decked you have 9.09:1 compression.. I'm sorry but there is no way in the world that motor made an honest 500HP unless there is about 3-5psi of boost force feeding it.

but,, just my 2¢, and probably not worth 1/2 of it

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Marv

Really.. you mean to tell me that my dart motor will not make a honest 600 hp?? really ...hmmm I have a aluminum water pump that has to be at least 25 hp and I have an electric fuel pump that has to free up at least 30 hp. and we all know that just about every sbc makes 550 so with those two items alone I am over 600... add in the windage tray and scraper in the oil pan that gotta be worth something.. LOL

I am just messing around..

Both of us have said it before and I am sure you will it again. Build a motor with TQ in mind let the HP numbers fall where they will. A engine that builds big tq early on is a boat load of fun as the normal driver.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
fatgump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
and programs are garbage in garbage out,,, not implying anything but if you made guesses at widage and flow numbers from the Dart 'advertisments' as gospel and not measured at .2, .3, .4, .5, .6, and anything iver that is a useless number with that cam...and power it claims over 6500-6800 is useless. Lunati tells you the cam is all done at 6000,, I'm telling you 99% of the 600HP small blocks ar ALL DONE by 6800,, add 'intrpertations / assumptions' for compression, narrow rod bearings, small skirt pistons,light weight valves, valve / lifter toss rpm,,, your going to get exagrated reports.

Just a fyi,, 383 with JE light weight forged flat top race pistons, 6" eagle rods. Cola crank, internal balanced. AFR 210's with a buttload of cnc work (a $3000 set of heads) angle milled to a 54cc chamber to net 12.2:1 compression, Lunati solid roller (264/272 @ 0.050, .625 lift) 1-7/8" Supercomps, Prosystems custom780cfm Dominator, on a Supervictor 4500 flange, , made 582HP at 6700rpm on a SuperFlo dyno.

Just a FYI,, with the 12cc dish, the 64cc chamber IF you zero decked you have 9.09:1 compression.. I'm sorry but there is no way in the world that motor made an honest 500HP unless there is about 3-5psi of boost force feeding it.

but,, just my 2¢, and probably not worth 1/2 of it
Marv D,

Thank you for your response. I picked up some cheap dyno software and ran the advertised numbers and they looked unrealistic, so I asked. I was told the motor would have compression ratio of 10:1, that doesnt seem to be true. What do think about the set up I have. I would like to run the 1/4 in the 13's.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Not Marv..

But take a look at some basic crate engines. GM has some pretty honest power numbers on there engines. Look at hp per cube. From there you have a base line to work with. It gets harder and harder to increase that power per cube with a small engine. And still keep it as a street engine.

Being that I have owned several 383 engines I would say that with the intake you have and that cam. You did not list carb or header tube size. but lets say 1 3/4 and a 750 carb. That it will make in the 425-450 range for hp. Nothing wrong with that at all. As I had a engine very close to that and it made 432 hp but the tq was just over 45o and it came on very quick and was broad. It was a great engine for the street. 1/4 mile times in the 70 GMC where mid 12's..
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
fatgump

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE View Post
Not Marv..

But take a look at some basic crate engines. GM has some pretty honest power numbers on there engines. Look at hp per cube. From there you have a base line to work with. It gets harder and harder to increase that power per cube with a small engine. And still keep it as a street engine.

Being that I have owned several 383 engines I would say that with the intake you have and that cam. You did not list carb or header tube size. but lets say 1 3/4 and a 750 carb. That it will make in the 425-450 range for hp. Nothing wrong with that at all. As I had a engine very close to that and it made 432 hp but the tq was just over 45o and it came on very quick and was broad. It was a great engine for the street. 1/4 mile times in the 70 GMC where mid 12's..
I would be very happy with those results. I am running Hedman 1 5/8 full length, Edelbrock 750 and 2 1/2 x pipe exhaust. Thank you for the info.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I just noticed you are in AZ what part?

As for the engine a mild 383 will make some very good tq, after all you have to get the weight moving. Many are suprised at how well a low hp engine does as they never gave thought to tq. Finding the right balance is the key. I think you will do very well with the set up. Spend the time to get the engine dilaed in..... Ask marv about that LOL
Old 04-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
fatgump

I am in Queen Creek. Do you guys take your trucks to Firebird on Friday nights?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I am somewhat boycotting Firebird. I'm sick of the drama. I haul from Casa Grande to race Az Drag Race Assoc. Most of the races are at Speedworld , one in Tucson and,,, this coming weekend....... at Firebird just before the monster truck show. We have been 'asssssssured' we will complete our race before they let one of the fuel slobbering jets down the track.. We'll see.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote