The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Transmission Opinions

Here's the deal. I'm starting to haul my car trailer around and picking up autos/trucks. My poor old 2005 Z71 is just not liking it to be perfectly honest, it's almost scary sometimes pulling one home. I have no doubt in my mind that my 87 1/2 ton would do this job easier, if I can get a better transmission behind the engine.

Currently it has a worn out 700R4 that I know I could fry by hauling one load of something. I'm thinking a TH400 would be just fine for a swap, but am worried what all it might entail on the swap. Any insight on this? Thoughts on maybe a TH350 instead? Can a 700R4 be built good enough to be a puller?

I'm also doing a little research to see if I'd rather add some leafs or just put helper bags on it. I'm leaning towards helper bags simply because I could control that and not always have the stiff battlewagon ride.

As always I appreciate input and previous experiences. I wish I could afford to trade my 05 for a nice newer 3/4 4x4, but it just is not in my cards right now. Plus every used 3/4 I find is worn out and high miles. I'm spoiled to my 05 with 50k miles on it.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
gramps

Re: Transmission Opinions

A t400 would work fine. That said a 700r4 can be built pretty easy to handle it. Heck you prob have the newer electric version (4l60e) in your 05.
Posted via Mobile Device
gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Firebirdjones

Like gramps said, it's hard to beat a good ole 400 turbo, but that 4L60E can be built to handle the job, and if it's already in there.....why not?

I built my 4L60E for my 6.0 swap to handle up to 600 hp. I do some light towing with the blazer.

With some billet parts, better aftermarket servo's, 5 pinion planet, beast sun shell, roller bearings instead of bushings where applicable, colleen steels and red alto clutches, some valve body mods for more 3rd/4th gear apply, and a few other tricks, it's about as good as a 4L60 gets. I also tweak the tune for the trans with some different line pressure settings and torque converter clutch apply settings. It's about ~$1300 give or take to do it all.

But it still gives you the overdrive option on your truck when you aren't towing if that matters to you.

I honestly don't think you could do a 400 turbo swap much cheaper. By the time you pay for a good 400 core, then the cost to rebuild that, different cross member, possibly shortening the driveshaft, parts for the electronic downshift, shift linkage mods, etc.... It's doable for sure, I just don't see much difference cost wise.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
beamn7

Agree with previous comments on building the 700 to take it but........... You can not beat a good ol 400 if you're doing alot of heavy hauling. Having said that, I had swapped my 700 out years ago with a 400. (back to a 700 now that I built to last and have done some heavy hauling with) You can use the existing crossmember, just slide it back to the next set of holes since the frame is already drilled for it, all you need is the 400 trans mount. If you have a 2 piece driveshaft like mine, go to the junk yard and get just the front section for a 3/4 ton that had a 400 in it and swap it in. Run a vaccum line to the manifold, install and wire the kickdown switch on the accel pedal bracket, and swap out the dash gear shift indicator and you're done. Can be done on a saturday....
As for the springs, I have the rear air bags and am very happy for the same reason you mentioned, no rough ride when not needing the extra help........
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Weasel Diesel

Foe-Hun-red no doubt...
Weasel Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Your41Plague12

The TH400 is definitely the way to go. There is no shift linkage modification needed. Just move the crossmember back to the next set of holes, like already stated, and find the correct driveshaft. Change the gear indicator, too. Vacuum to the manifold, and the electric kickdown switch if you want it, and you're done!
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
jbwolfe

I dont have much experience with this, but would it be possible to swap in a manual transmission? Might be cheaper to find a used one in good shape. A manual will take way more abuse too.
Posted via Mobile Device
jbwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Your41Plague12

It's possible. Once again, you'll need the driveshaft and now the crossmember. You'll also need the pedal assembly, and the steering column too if you want to make it original-looking. It also depends on if you're going manual or hydraulic clutch, because that changes all kinds of things. For the manual clutch, you'll most likely have to drill some holes. For the hydro clutch, you'll have to do some other things. Not to mention you'll need a different transmission hump assuming yours is a 2wd automatic. The manuals require a higher transmission hump. The ones from any 4x4 will work, but you'll have to weld up the hole for the transfer case shifter. One from a 2wd with a manual transmission will be your best bet. It looks like yours is an 80's truck, so your transmission hump is most likely glued in (unless it's a 1-ton). You'll have to cut that one out and weld the new one in. Last but not least, with the new tranny hump, your carpet will no longer fit. You'll need new carpet. I got mine for about $150 and it is very high-quality. It's just like the stuff in the newer vehicles. You have the option for the old or new style carpet, and in just about any color you want. Its fit was great, but they left it a little wide. I had to trim for where it met the rocker panels.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I stopped shifting gears manually 20 years ago.

This does put food for thought into my head guys. I'll have to corner my transmission guy the next time I catch him at dinner somewhere. I'd say at most I'd be hauling a car/truck every 3 weeks or so, and hopefully never more than 40 miles at most. I know I'd be way better off having a 3/4 with HD everything, but being a poor broke middle aged man, I might just take the path of cheaper and work with what I got. I have about $800 saved up, was going to use it to fix my Honda 4wheeler, but I might have better uses for it. I literally have to get something I can haul with in order to keep making my beer and cigarette money. Even my wife is tired of me being at home on the weekends now. She's pestering me to go find a junker to buy and occupy my time for a while. But has been an issue to find something to haul with since my dad sold his F250. They replaced it with an Escalade ESV, which is basically a 3/4, but they won't let me use it.. Imagine that?
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote