The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
lovechevytrucks2

9 inch rear conversion

Hi Again I have a Ford 9 inch small bearing rear end. I plane on installing it in my 59 fleetside. I donyt know the year of it and i found trying to reserch the year was frustrating to say the least .I want to convert to disac brakes. can it be done without using the conversion kit. There expensive .Can it be done by utalizing parts from another more modern ford rear end IFso is there a thread for this.I have access to a junk yard and very cheap parts. While im here, can anyone give me a list of any swap meets in the New York State area .Thanks. Tony
lovechevytrucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
jimig1

Re: 9 inch rear conversion

the disc brakes on my 9 inch are from a 1980 TO 1985 CADILLAC SEVILLE. I just had to buy the brackets http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-9-INCH-...ht_1130wt_1163
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
lovechevytrucks2

Thanks for the reply . What size Are the cad rotors.Did that include backing plates .Did you redrill the rotors for the ford axil bolt pattern .Tony

Last edited by lovechevytrucks2; 04-17-2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: change some words
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
jimig1

I had the axles redrilled to 5x4.75 not sure the size of the rotors off had but seville bolt pattern I think are 5x5 bolt pattern. If you want 5 x4.75 you can use Camaro rotors.
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
mr48chev

If you can get by with 10-3/4 rotors the rotors for Lincoln Versallies has the 4.5 bolt pattern that matches the Ford rear end.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0062&ppt=C0009

The 79 MK V has a larger rotor but it has a 5 inch bolt pattern like the big GM rear ends.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0062&ppt=C0009

If you are going 5 on 4-3/4 bolt pattern the mid 80's Camaro rear disks are 10.5 and you might be able to adapt the caliper brackets and calipers without a lot of hassle by doing a couple of mods to the brackets.

Last edited by mr48chev; 04-17-2012 at 03:59 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
lovechevytrucks2

Thanks for the advise I am not sure what way to go.I would like to use the brackets. I would also like to use whatever rotor caliper combination i can without having the rotors drilled.Who does the rotor drilling.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
jimig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovechevytrucks2 View Post
Thanks for the advise I am not sure what way to go.I would like to use the brackets. I would also like to use whatever rotor caliper combination i can without having the rotors drilled.Who does the rotor drilling.
Machine shops can do it. What bolt pattern are you running?
MSRA Member

-George Carlin
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
lovechevytrucks2

I am a novice at most of this restoration.I I am not shave done bits and pieces of a few projects ,but never a frome the frame up. I have never welded in patch pannels or installed a reare diff , or notched a frame . I have owned a few cars that ive done work on in different stages BUT Since i purchased this project ,i have gone to this site for the ideas and info that has gotten me this far..I have to say thanks again for the help i have recieved here from everyone.Iam not sure the lug pattern how do i find out what that is TONY
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
jimig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovechevytrucks2 View Post
I am a novice at most of this restoration.I I am not shave done bits and pieces of a few projects ,but never a frome the frame up. I have never welded in patch pannels or installed a reare diff , or notched a frame . I have owned a few cars that ive done work on in different stages BUT Since i purchased this project ,i have gone to this site for the ideas and info that has gotten me this far..I have to say thanks again for the help i have recieved here from everyone.Iam not sure the lug pattern how do i find out what that is TONY
I'm in the same boat I have never done most of what I have been doing but I take sometime and do some research. To measure the bolt pattern take a look at http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=92&
MSRA Member

-George Carlin
Old 04-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
lovechevytrucks2

Thanks that helps Tony